FRA: Noboru

Warm agedashi tofu to combat the cold weather!

Today I shall write an entry on another Asian (Japanese, in particular) restaurant in Lyon called Noboru (昇る: to rise). Anyway, this restaurant was recommended by one of my trip mates, Samantha Lee. After a long day of walk around Lyon, my friends and I decided to dine at this small, but comfortable restaurant. I ordered the Menu Étudiant II set by flashing my student card. For €16.00 (~S$27.80) here are the list of stuff that you can have.

Appetiser: Soba OR Agedashi Tofu, Miso Soup, Assorted Sushi (4 pcs)
Main Course: Assorted Skewers (5 pcs), Fragrant Rice
Dessert/Drink: Ice Cream (2 scoops) OR Fried Nian Gao OR Green Tea


Red Wine with Longan
Taste: 7.5/10

The fusion apéritif came for free! The contrast between the slightly bitter red wine and the sweet (canned) longan was quite interesting. It was quite a refreshing drink for a start.


Agedashi Tofu (Set Menu)
Taste: 8.5/10

I was pretty surprised to find out that the tofu was awesome. Indeed it was the highlight of the day. The tofu was as smooth as silk, lightly dusted with cornstarch and fried to perfection. Bathing in a bowl of broth with quite a strong aroma of mirin (a kind of Japanese sweet rice wine), the tofu successfully made my day. Oh yes, actually 揚げ出し豆腐 should be pronounced agedashi dōfu instead due to Rendaku, a Japanese linguistics phenomenon of voicing which commonly occurs when two native Japanese words are compounded. I learnt that in my first Japanese linguistics class, JS2203 (Sound, Grammar and Meaning), in NUS last year.


Miso Soup (Set Menu)
Taste: 7/10

A heart-warming miso (Japanese fermented rice, barley and/or soybean) soup came after the tofu dish. The soup tasted alright, but I could only find small bits of tofu and seaweed inside. Also, it'd be better if scallions were added into it.


Assorted Sushi (4 pcs) (Set Menu)
Taste: 7/10

Each of the vinegared rice with a raw fish slice wasn't bad, but I guess they could afford to put more vinegar on the rice. The freshness of the fish was acceptable. The salmon one was better than the rest.


Assorted Skewers (5 pcs) with Fragrant Rice (Set Menu)
Taste: 7.5/10

From left to right: chicken and onions, pork and green peppers, chicken balls, chicken and beef. The skewers looked yummy, and yes, they tasted good. In my opinion, the pork and green peppers skewer was the most delectable. It was sweet and tender. The chicken balls tasted more like beef balls though, or maybe it was just me. Pika's advice: Don't expect to get a bowl of Japanese rice in this restaurant. I was actually a bit disappointed that day haha...


Fried Nian Gao (Set Menu)
Taste: 7/10

I didn't expect that I could find nian gao (a cake made of glutinous rice which is usually served during Chinese New Year) in France. It was nice, chewy (not sticky) and not too oily. I usually eat the Guangdong nian gao which I think is more common in my hometown though - the one which is made using brown sugar.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 7/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 7.5/10

Since the restaurant wasn't too crowded, the ambience was quite lovely with the dimmed lights. Service was prompt, and the uncle, who came from a Southeast Asian country which I can't remember, could speak English and Chinese.

Noboru

28 Rue Henri-Germain
Lyon
France
(Mon-Sat: 12 noon - 2.00pm, 7.00pm - 10.30pm)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

TWN: EVA Air BR36 (Economy)