SIN: Waroeng Penyet

Reminds me of ayam kuning at home...

Having heard about an ayam penyet restaurant along the stretch of Liang Seah Street, I eventually decided to walk there to grab my lunch after I requested for my financial standing letter from the DBS branch in Raffles City earlier this week. It was an oppressively sweltering day, but luckily I managed to get a seat inside the air-conned restaurant.


Ayam Penyet S$6.00
Taste: 7/10

The chicken was well-marinated with turmeric before it was fried, and it was tender although the skin wasn't crispy enough for my liking. The tahu goreng (lit. fried beancurd) and the tempe goreng (lit. fried fermented soya bean cake) were alright, but I think they were too small haha... Sadly, the crispy bits of batter sprinkled on top of the chicken were disappointing since they weren't so crispy (some were soggy) lacked taste. The chili didn't kick either. Oh yes, it came with a bowl of soup made of chicken stock. Pika's advice: If you like sweet soy sauce, don't forget to get it from the counter!


Kangkung Belacan S$4.50
Taste: 7.5/10

I found the stir-fried kangkung (lit. water spinach) quite enjoyable. It was pretty fresh, mildly spicy and the sambal belacan (lit. shrimp paste chili) wasn't too over-powering.


Keropok S$1.50
Taste: 7/10

I couldn't resist ordering the garlic crackers, or what we call it kerupuk bawang (I'm more used to this spelling of kerupuk actually) in Bahasa. They were nice and crunchy, just like the ones I used to eat back at home. FYI, you can buy a pre-cooked kerupuk of this kind from the wet market in Indonesia for only Rp 15,000 (~S$2.10) per kg, I think :P

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7/10
Ambience: 5.5/10
Service: 6.5/10
Overall: 6/10

One warning: the place would be very packed during lunch time... As I said earlier, I was lucky enough to get a seat even though I still had to squeeze in between other people because it was really crowded (and the restaurant is quite small). A few minutes after I sat down, a horde of office people came. In the end they had to wait for quite some time before they could be able to sit inside. Yes, there were a few tables outside but imagine eating ayam penyet outside when the weather was hot and suffocating... Hmm, even though service was acceptable, one of the waitresses mumbled all the way through that I couldn't really understand what she was talking about. Only after a few seconds I finally came to understand that she would like to clear the plates.

Waroeng Penyet

1 Liang Seah Street #01-12
Singapore
(Opening hours unknown - Anyone knows?)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]