FRA: Institut Paul Bocuse

Sweet temptation specially made in front of us!

Today I'm going to write a special review about the sweet stuff I had during my visit to Institut Paul Bocuse, a school of hospitality and culinary arts. Paul Bocuse is a prominent chef based in Lyon, famous for his innovative approaches to cuisine. Oh, the school building looks like a castle!


The other day, three chefs demonstrated the process of baking of the three different types of pastry shown above: macaron framboise (the pink strawberry macarons), rocher noix de coco (the off-white coconut macaroons) and financier (the brown almond bites). Pika's advice: I found out from Wikipedia that "The Institut Paul Bocuse Worldwide Alliance brings together nine universities in the United States, Peru, Brazil, Canada, Japan, Taiwan, Greece, Singapore and Finland. Each university selects its best students to follow a four-month intensive training at the Institut Paul Bocuse in subjects such as French regional cuisine, pastry techniques, cheese, wine selection, etc." Work hard, and maybe one of you who're studying culinary arts would be lucky enough to be selected! :D

Let's take a closer look at them.


Macaron Framboise
Taste: 8.5/10

The macaron was really good as it was mildly moist that it dissolved in my mouth slowly to give the tingling sensation to the taste buds. Moreover, the strawberry jam was really fragrant and not overly sweet, just the way I like it. Topped with a bit of crushed pistachios, each of them looked truly appetising.

Rocher Noix de Coco
Taste: 9/10

The coconut macaroon (note the different spelling from the above macaron) was the best pastry of the day in my opinion. The aroma of the coconut was alluringly strong. Similar to the macaron, this one melted in my mouth even more easily, releasing the excitingly creamy coconut taste which wasn't artificial at all.

Financier
Taste: 8/10

Don't get me wrong, even though I gave the financier a slightly lower score, it doesn't mean that it wasn't good. It was nicely crumbly and sweet, but I prefer financier which has a stronger almond flavour, as well as a texture that is closer to castella or Madeira cake.


Moët & Chandon Champagne

We also had one of the world's most prominent champagne: Moët & Chandon! I don't get to drink this often (probably only about five times so far?), so I was pretty excited when I saw it. Oh, I forgot to note anything about the champagne. I didn't even remember to see the label. But anyway, to be honest, I actually prefer a cup of TWG tea to go with those. Haha...


Alain Milliat Jus Pomme

High quality Alain Milliat apple juice was prepared for those who didn't drink champagne. I'd never tried this one before, so I helped myself haha... 

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8.5/10

I'm wondering where can I get a rocher noix de coco that good in Singapore?

Institut Paul Bocuse

Château du Vivier BP 25
Écully
France


*Is this my first review without any price written?

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market