CHN: Modern Toilet Restaurant

Paradoxical food-and-bathroom combo just for fun!

I just came back from Shenzhen and Guangzhou yesterday, and I actually have another mid-term exam tomorrow afternoon, but I guess I'm going to write this 'fun' review. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Modern Toilet Restaurant branch in HK is no longer available, right? This is exactly the reason why I went all the way to Dongmen Food Street in Shenzhen.


Modern Toilet Restaurant hails from Taiwan, and it has since gained lots of attention from the public: drawing smiles and sparking controversial remarks at the same time. Well, I don't find the whole idea that bizarre. Sitting on a chair shaped like a toilet bowl, I ordered some dishes and satisfied my hunger without having to wait for a long time.


Taiwanese Fried Salty Chicken CNY 18.00 (~S$3.60)
Taste: 7.5/10

The medium-sized balls of minced chicken were a tad oily, but I have to admit that they were quite tasty. Crispy on the outside, but moist and juicy on the outside, they were indeed a nice appetiser to start the meal.


Thai-Style Sour Spicy Seafood Udon CNY 30.00 (~S$6.00)
Taste: 7.5/10

Although I'm not really a big fan of tom yum (Thai spicy soup), I have to say that the dish managed to whet my appetite. It was indeed sour and spicy, but pitched at the right level. The udon (Japanese wheat-flour noodle) was nicely bouncy and chewy, and the seafood items (fish slices, prawns, clams and squid) were given pretty generously. Pika's advice: You can have ramen instead!


Marinated Ground Pork with Rice CNY 30.00 (~S$6.00)
Taste: 7.5/10

The dish which reminded me of home was equally tasty. "Ground pork" is obviously a misnomer, but anyway, the pork belly and the egg were well-marinated. It was also a delight to have the thick sauce on the rice in an adequate amount that made the rice sticky and a bit greasy in a good way.


Ice Cream (Chocolate) CNY 13.00 (~S$2.60)
Taste: 8/10

Of course I didn't forget to buy the best-seller item (for obvious reasons, which I don't need to mention). The chocolate flavour was rich, and it came with a crunchy lemon-flavoured stick biscuit. Hmm, actually I have a picture after eating the ice cream halfway when some of it had already melted, but I guess shan't upload it here.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 7.5/10

I notice that a lot of people have mentioned that the food, sorry, sucks (I can't remember which branches they're referring to), but definitely it wasn't the case when I visited the branch yesterday. Also, service was efficient. All in all, I had fun!

Modern Toilet Restaurant

1004 Jiefang Road
Shenzhen
China
(Opening hours unknown - Anyone knows?)


Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market