HKG: Tsui Wah Restaurant

A cute cup of milk tea! :)

I spotted Tsui Wah Restaurant, one of the most commonly sighted cha chaan teng (lit. tea food hall) in HK with definitely more than 10 branches (plus one in Macau and a few in China), after I went to buy some sweet delights from Tai Cheong Bakery. Since I hadn't had lunch the other day, I happily walked into the eatery to find out their array of dishes.

 

Deep-Fried Fish Skin HK$18.00 (~S$3.00)
Taste: 8/10

Thin, crispy, not-overly salty fish skin made a good appetiser. Good till the last, errr, crumb. Oh, I didn't expect it to come with a bowl of fish soup (more on this later).

 

Nasi Goreng HK$61.00 (~S$10.15)
Taste: 8/10

I just couldn't resist the temptation when I spotted an Indonesian style nasi goreng (one of the world's most delicious food, right?). Frankly speaking, the first spoonful of the rice proved that it wasn't an authentic nasi goreng at all since it wasn't cooked with the essential Indonesian sweet soy sauce, but with Chinese dark soy sauce. Moreover, the chicken satay was marinated in teriyaki sauce. Nevertheless, it wasn't a fiasco, for it was delightful. The rice was pretty fluffy, and certainly had quite a nice balance of flavour; at least they added a bit of sugar to make up for the absence of the sweet soy sauce. The egg yolk was still runny, the shrimps were pretty succulent and the chicken on the skewer was tender. The crackers had a very mild taste though. Well, I guess I shan't label this review with the 'Indonesian' tag.

 

Fish Combination with Vermicelli in Fish Soup (Bowl) HK$34.00 (~S$5.65) 
Taste: 6/10

Apparently, the fish soup that came with the vermicelli was the same as the fish soup that came with the fish skin earlier. The vermicelli was more on the soft side than chewy, and it was a pity that the fish broth wasn't full-bodied. The fish balls, squid balls and fish cakes were quite huge, but not special in terms of taste.

 

Milk Tea (Hot) HK$17.00 (~S$2.80)
Taste: 7/10

Initially I didn't have the intention to order a cup of milk tea, but when I saw the cute cup in the menu, I forced myself to order one haha... It wasn't bad; I liked the consistency which was slightly more on the thick side, but I guess they added a tad too much milk which ruined the taste of the tea a bit.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7/10
Ambience: 7/10
Service: 7.5/10
Overall: 7/10

Pika's advice: I heard that the eatery is famous for its crispy bun with condensed milk. You may want to give it a try for your tea time, perhaps!

Tsui Wah Restaurant

15-19 Wellington Street
Central
Hong Kong
(Twenty Four / Seven)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]