PHI: Zubuchon

Anthony Bourdain: "Best pig... EVER!"

The moment I saw Mr. Bourdain's comment in the Internet, I made it a point to drop by Zubuchon for dinner when I was in Cebu to try the legendary roasted pork. To be honest, I was already feeling kinda sleepy that evening because of the tiring day trip to the Chocolate Hills in Bohol. However, the moment I entered the restaurant and saw the display full of roasted pork, I was wide awake haha...

 

 Zubuchon (Small: 1/2 Kilo) PHP 260.00 (~S$7.80)
Taste: 9/10

They give their roasted pork the name zubuchon, which I believe comes from the name of the company: Zubufoods Inc. and lechon, a Spanish term which exactly refers to suckling pig that is roasted. Anyway, I'm not sure if zubuchon is really the best roasted pork in the world, but it was amazing. Roasted over charcoal, the meat broke into nice, tender fibres; actually, the texture somehow reminded me of chicken breast. Seasoned with various ingredients such as rosemary, lemongrass, sea salt and olive oil, the pork was truly aromatic and flavourful. The skin was oh-so-crispy! Pika's advice: Don't forget the three bottles of condiments: soy sauce, spicy pork oil and pinakurat (a type of spicy vinegar dip) to complete your dining experience!

 

Sizzling Bangus with Tampalen PHP 180.00 (~S$5.40)
Taste: 8.5/10

I've known that bangus is milkfish; on the other hand, I really had no idea what tampalen was, but I still ordered the dish anyway. Truth be told, tampalen is actually lard. Served on a hotplate, the deboned fish was succulent, made awesome with the addition of scallions and caramelised onions. In my opinion, the sauce had a buttery taste, though I've got no idea if they also used butter, in addition to tampalen? Well, surprisingly enough, the dish wasn't too greasy.

 

Garlic Fried Rice PHP 90.00 (~S$2.70)
Taste: 8/10

The fried rice was fluffy, and most importantly, it packed a punch with its powerful garlic aroma! It was one of the best garlic fried rice I've ever had.

 

Leche Flan PHP 260.00 (~S$1.50)
Taste: 6/10

In most of my reviews so far, dessert items have always been given thumbs up, I think. Well, the leche flan (Filipino custard cake) that I had, sadly, was average. It was a bit too soft for my liking and not entirely creamy, although the degree of sweetness was about right.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 8.5/10
Overall: 8/10

The staff were all well-groomed and friendly. Service was more than efficient, and they were really attentive throughout the meal (perhaps that was because only a few tables were occupied, but anyway, good job!). Dining at Zubuchon was definitely one of the highlights of my trip to the Philippines!

Zubuchon

Gen. Maxilom Avenue
Unit 4, G/F One Mango Avenue Building
Cebu
Philippines
(Daily: 10.00am - 11.00pm)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: Singapore Airlines SQ656 (Economy)