SIN: Bruce Café {CLOSED}

Disastrous mango pudding...

UPDATE (29/06/2018): The café has closed down.

There was a time when I was just tired of canteen food here in NUS, so I went to UTown to grab my dinner with my friend. When I saw a HK style café, still with the fond memories of the exchange programme glued onto my brain, I immediately dragged him there.


Dim Sum in the Cage S$6.80
Har Gow - Taste: 5.5/10
Siew Mai - Taste: 6/10
Char Siew Bao - Taste: 7/10

It was a pity that there wasn't any cage at sight. Moreover, the lacklustre appearance of the har gow (Chinese steamed shrimp dumplings) and the siew mai (Chinese steamed pork dumplings) was a reflection of their performance in terms of taste. Both of them were pretty dry and uninspiring, especially the har gow with their thick skin. The char siew pao (Chinese BBQ pork buns) were somewhat fluffy on the inside, although the outermost layer was also dry. I found that the filling wasn't overly sweet.


Pork Chop with Cheese Lo-Ting (Dry) S$6.80
Taste: 7/10

The instant-noodle-made-fancy dish came with breaded pork chops, a runny sunny-side up egg and a blob of dry cheese which did nothing to the overall taste. The noodle was fragrant due to the addition of sesame oil. On the other hand, the pork chops weren't that juicy, but they were quite tender and flavourful.


Bamboo Fried Rice with Salted Chicken S$5.80
Taste: 7.5/10

Sitting on a boat-shaped bamboo, the fried rice was adequately moist, although the taste wasn't particularly special. The chicken chunks didn't seem like they were salted beforehand, but they were moist. Peas and French beans were there for added colours, and they were somewhat juicy.


Mango Pudding (Cold) S$3.50
Taste: 4/10

Truth be told, that was the worst mango pudding I've ever had in my life. However, as I said, as long as I could bring myself to finish something, I wouldn't give it below 4/10. Firstly, the pudding (if I can even call it by that name) was warm. Besides that, it was soft to the point of being almost runny, and there was no aroma of mango at all. Still, it was kinda milky and not cloyingly sweet.


Hong Kong Milk Tea (Cold) S$2.50
Taste: 8/10

The saving grace for the day was the HK milk tea, which, thankfully, didn't have too much ice in it. After the dessert fiasco, I really didn't expect much of the drink, but it was pretty fragrant and aromatic. The level of sweetness was acceptable.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 6.5/10
Ambience: 7/10
Service: 6.5/10
Overall: 6.5/10

Service was a bit slow even though there weren't many people there. One of the servers was also quite blur. Pika's advice: Well, NUS people, don't forget to flash your student card to get a 10% discount to offset the service charge.

Bruce Lee Café

1 Create Way
#01-12 Create Tower, NUS UTown
Singapore
(Daily: 10.00am - 12 midnight)

*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

TWN: EVA Air BR36 (Economy)