MAS: Hong Kong Hotel & Restoran

Carbohydrate boost first thing in the morning in Cameron Highlands!

Starting from today, I'm going to present you some of the eateries I visited when I went for a 4D3N trip to Cameron Highlands, Malaysia. Departing from Singapore at 10.30pm on a sleeper bus, I reached the destination when the sun was about to rise. The bus stopped for an hour at a town called Brinchang for the passengers to have breakfast before it brought us to the hotel.


Pandan Nasi Lemak with Curry Chicken RM 6.00 (~S$2.45)
Taste: 7.5/10

I'm a big fan of nasi lemak (Malay rice dish cooked in coconut milk with pandan leaves), so the thought of getting one first thing in the morning came naturally. It was a pity that the rice wasn't very fragrant and it could definitely be fluffier. The egg with chili wasn't that spicy. On the other hand, the curry chicken wasn't short on flavour. The enjoyment of finishing the dish was also intensified by the crunchy ikan bilis (lit. anchovies) and peanuts, as well as the deep-fried wanton skin.


Wanton Mee with Char Siew RM 6.00 (~S$2.45)
Taste: 7.5/10

My buddy, being a noodle lover, ordered a noodle dish topped with fried wantons, char siew (Chinese BBQ pork) and something that was unexpected (at least for me), a type of crunchy and juicy vegetable which I always call siomak (until today I still haven't been able to find the English equivalent). While the fried dumplings were pretty crunchy and savoury, the noodle lacked the springy texture I was looking for. Also, sweet though the char siew slices were, they weren't so tender.


Coffee 'C' (Hot) RM 1.80 (~S$0.75)
Taste: 8/10

In such a cool, breezy morning at the altitude of around 1,450m, a glass of hot coffee with creamer was all I needed to warm my body and soul, as well as to wake me up for the trip ahead. The coffee was powerful enough in terms of taste and aroma, and certainly it wasn't too sweet for my liking.


Milk Tea (Hot) RM 1.80 (~S$0.75)
Taste: 7.5/10

The hot milk tea did a good job too, but I actually preferred the coffee more. While the former was adequately sweet and aromatic, I felt that it could be slightly creamier. My buddy seemed to be enjoying it more than I did though. Well, we all have different tongues, don't we?

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 6.5/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 7.5/10

Just as an aside, I had actually planned to try what's said to be the best nasi lemak, which is only available early in the morning, at an eatery called Gerai Opah. However, since the bus stopped at Brinchang instead of Tanah Rata where the eatery is located at, I didn't manage to get it. Pika's advice: There seems to be two eateries called Hong Kong Restoran; one is at Brinchang and the other one is at Tanah Rata. The one at Tanah Rata is well-known for its steamboat.

Hong Kong Hotel & Restoran

5 Jalan Besar
Brinchang
Cameron Highlands
Malaysia
(Opening hours unknown - Anyone knows?)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]