JPN: Kushikatsu JanJan (串かつ ジャンジャン)

Melt-in-the-mouth deep-fried wagyu beef!

Have you ever tried kushikatsu (Japanese deep-fried kebabs)? The Shinsekai neighbourhood of Osaka is famous for that. Besides the mandatory visit to Dotonbori, indeed I walked down the road to try kushikatsu for the first time in my life. There are several branches of the eateries located not so far away from one another, and unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure which branch did I go to. 


Recommended Kushikatsu ¥1,360 (~S$6.60)
Taste: 8/10

The kebabs are sold per piece. Not knowing what to order, I took the recommendation menu at the side of the table and ordered each of the eleven items listed there: wagyu beef, beef offal, garlic, potato, sweet potato, green pepper, cherry tomato, red ginger, takoyaki (Japanese octopus balls) and mochi (Japanese rice cake). All were covered with light and crispy golden brown coating, and I especially enjoyed the wagyu beef which was sinfully fatty and juicy, as well as the burstingly sweet cherry tomato. Another thing I'd like to note is that deep-fried takoyaki was kind of weird, and dipping it into the Worcestershire-based sauce wasn't any better. Haha...


Yakiniku Garlic Rice ¥480 (~S$6.10)
Taste: 8/10

The fried rice wasn't extraordinarily fluffy, but the combination of chewy beef, fried garlic bits and aromatic spring onions pretty much gave a tingling sensation on the taste buds. It'd be even better if the beef was cooked with a tad less salt.


Fresh Cheese Cake ¥480 (~S$6.10)
Taste: 7/10

The cheese cake had a nice sweet and salty balance, but I didn't quite like the consistency which was lacking in the velvety texture I was looking for. In fact, it was a tad tough, as if it had just been taken out of the fridge.


Colour Highball ¥390 (~S$4.95)
Taste: 7/10

I believe highball is a combination of an alcoholic base and a non-alcoholic mixer, but I've got no idea what was the actual concoction I had the other day. It was pretty refreshing with its slightly sweet and bitter taste, but there wasn't anything special about the drink though. Still, it was a good friend of the edamame (Japanese green soybeans) that was served as a starter!

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 5/10
Service: 7.5/10
Overall: 6.5/10

I enjoyed the dim atmosphere of the eatery, but there was someone smoking during the first half of the meal. Anyway, while the original store is located at JanJan Yokocho Street, I shall write down the address of the branch which I mostly likely dropped by. Pika's advice: Although I didn't ask, I doubt there's an English menu in the eatery. If you can't read Japanese, grab the menu with the pictures inside! However, I'm not sure if there are pictures for the kushikatsu that can let you see the ingredients.

Kushikatsu JanJan
(串かつ ジャンジャン)

2-4-1 Ebisu Higashi
Naniwa, Osaka
Japan
(Daily: 11.00am - 10.00pm)


*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge and 5% VAT.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: Singapore Airlines SQ656 (Economy)