HKG: Hang Heung Bakery (恆香老餅家)

Renowned wife cake from the original store in Yuen Long!

No trip to Yuen Long would be complete without lao po bing (lit. wife cake). I purposely hunted the original Hang Heung Bakery down. The suffocating heat of summer in HK was no joke. Despite my T-shirt soaked with perspiration, the journey was worth it.


Wife Cake (1pc) HK$6.50 (~S$1.05)
Taste: 9/10

In contrast to the one I had from Yuen Long Hong Kong Pastry & Buns near where I'm living now, Hang Heung's version wasn't as crispy, but truly crumbly. The wintermelon and almond paste was mildly sweet and pleasantly gummy.


One definitely wouldn't complain the amount of the paste inside. However, I would've been happier had I got one with a slightly thicker crust.


Century Egg Cake (1pc) HK$7.00 (~S$1.15)
Taste: 6/10

It sounds somewhat bizarre to me, but it's real. As I dug into it, I discovered not only century egg, but also lotus seed paste inside.


I wasn't sure, but probably the hot weather in the afternoon caused the lotus seed paste to liquefy a little bit, causing it to be less appetising. Moreover, the combination of it and the subtle-yet-there flavour of the century egg wasn't exactly appealing to me.


Original Country Egg Rolls (10pcs) HK$38.00 (~S$6.10)
Taste: 8.5/10

Probably I'm so used to crispy egg rolls that it came as a surprise to me when I sank my teeth into the airy and crumbly ones from Hang Heung. Having said that, their heady aroma made me continue to eat roll after roll.


Green Tea Country Egg Rolls (10pcs) HK$38.00 (~S$6.10)
Taste: 8/10

In my opinion, the green tea egg rolls were less eggy with only a subtle hint of the Japanese staple drink. It was somewhat even less crispy than the original ones, despite both of them having the same expiry date.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10

Note that at the point of writing, their website is still under construction. Pika's advice: I've seen people writing comments in the Internet, saying that it's best to avoid getting the not-so-fresh wife cakes at the Hong Kong International Airport. The ones in the city are better.

Hang Heung Bakery
(恆香老餅家)

66 Castle Peak Road
Yuen Long
Hong Kong
(Opening hours unknown - Anyone knows?)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

SIN: Singapore Airlines SQ656 (Economy)