SIN: Monster Curry

Monster-sized, rich and sweet demi-glace curry rice!

The recent urge to had Japanese curry rice arose due to the fact that a friend of mine, who was participating in an exchange programme in the Land of the Rising Sun, kept posting pictures of Go Go Curry (ゴーゴーカレー) in Shibuya, Tokyo. As I was in Nex the other day, I went to the newly opened branch of Monster Curry with my BFF and my hunchbacked bear who was overwhelmed by the huge size of the plate.


Boasting its dark brown curry sauce which consists of 14 different spices and vegetables, the eatery prepares each batch for two days before serving it to customers. You decide how spicy you'd like your curry to be, from zero to five flames. The flame refers to the number of fire breaths of their mascot, the seven-headed dragon, which apparently looks somewhat like the universal symbol of love on the plate. 


Pork Katsu Curry (2 Flames) S$13.00
Taste: 8/10

I relished the curry sauce which was truly smooth and of adequate thickness, imparting a richly sweet sensation that went really well with the Japanese rice. However, the reason why I only gave it 8/10 was that the deep-fried pork cutlet was just a bit dry, even though it was meaty. Two flames, made of chilli padi (lit. bird's eye chili), garlic, ginger and celery, were enough to make me sweat and heat my stomach.


Shrimp Tempura Curry (3 Flame) S$13.00
Taste: 8.5/10

My BFF had the deep-fried shrimps which were crunchy and quite succulent, thus earning a slightly better score than the pork. The batter could be more airy though. Each dish also came with pickled ginger slices and shredded cabbages with goma (lit. sesame) dressing. Three flames proved to be too much for me to handle.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 7/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 7.5/10

Now I know where to get my fix of Japanese curry rice. I shall try Go Go Curry out too when I visit Tokyo again next time. Pika's advice: Interested in having lots of meat to go with your curry? Try their signature S$25.00 Combo Curry which features pork, fish and shrimps! 

Monster Curry

23 Serangoon Central
#B1-08 Nex
Singapore
(Daily: 11.00am - 9.30pm)


*Prices quoted are subject to 7% GST.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]