SIN: Umi Sushi

Cheap and crispy salmon skin!

Still on Tiong Bahru Plaza, visitors who're looking for light bites can head down to the squeezy B1 floor. As I was looking for a quick dinner, I decided to give Umi Sushi a try for the first time. I brought my hungry little bear that day.


It was discouraging to find out that the outlet at Tiong Bahru Plaza doesn't have a proper unit of its own. There is only a counter table which seats about eight customers or so. Nevertheless, I still had my dinner on the spot with my BFF.


Sake Skin S$1.70
Taste: 8/10

I'm a major fan of salmon skin, thus I couldn't resist the temptation to get it that evening. It was crispy without being oily, complemented well by the mayonnaise at the side that could be a bit sweeter. Should there be a dash of lemon juice, it'd be even better. 


Lobster Salad Gunkan S$2.40
Taste: 6.5/10

Authentic or not, there was definitely more than enough lobster meat on each gunkan (lit. battleship). Having said that, the Japanese rice underneath didn't seem to be well-seasoned as it was lacking in vinegar.


Curry Katsu Udon S$5.80
Taste: 6.5/10

I had a reason for ordering a bowl of curry udon (Japanese wheat-flour noodle): I truly missed (am still missing) an awesome instant version of it I bought in Japan earlier this year. While admittedly the former wasn't as delicious, it was enough to warm my soul. The amount of chicken was good, but it could be crispier.


Gyu Don S$7.80
Taste: 7/10

The beef bowl featured slices of beef which could be sweeter and have more onions. To my surprise, the egg in the centre was poached well. It came with a small cup of miso (Japanese fermented rice, barley and/or soybean) soup which was pretty flavourful.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7/10
Ambience: 3/10
Overall: 5/10

Having stood the test of time since 2007, I believe Umi Sushi has slowly been trying, and should constantly try to improve the quality of its food. Pika's advice: To get a better ambience, you may want to visit their other outlets, such as the one at Funan DigitaLife Mall.

Umi Sushi

302 Tiong Bahru Road
#B1-26 Tiong Bahru Plaza
Singapore
(Daily: 10.00am - 10.00pm)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market