SIN: 3+1 Restaurant

Sweet spinach soup, but I felt bitter because of a particular waiter...

The good thing about living in the Chinatown area is that many areas of high concentrations of food establishments are within walking distance. One fine evening, I walked down to Anson Road at Tanjong Pagar to find this uniquely named 3+1 Restaurant. In view of the Chinese name of the restaurant, 三菜一汤, my friends and I ordered three main dishes and a soup dish to go along with our bowls of piping hot steamed rice.


Spinach Soup with Wolfberries (Medium) S$15.90
Taste: 9/10

Brilliant colours, I thought when I first saw the soup of our choice arriving at our table. Finely minced spinach was mixed with wispy beaten eggs, nourishingly sweet wolfberries and springy shrimps. The good balance of flavours really whetted my appetite, especially after adding a dash of pepper to it for an added aroma.


Imperial Pork with Honey (Small) S$11.90
Taste: 6/10

I've always made it a point to try 京都排骨 (lit. Peking pork ribs) whenever I see it in an eatery. Sprinkled with sesame seeds atop of lettuce leaves, the boneless spare ribs were pretty tender, even though the outer layer could be made slightly crispy like those I tried elsewhere. I found the sauce to be too sweet for my liking.


Creamy Salted Egg Chicken (Small) S$10.90
Taste: 8/10

I was disappointed that the signature red wine chicken dish had run out. The server recommended the above-mentioned dish, even though I'd already placed an order for the dish below, but who could resist the temptation of dishes with salted eggs? Indeed, the chicken bits were laden with a kind of creamy sauce, but it didn't taste like salted eggs at all. In fact, it tasted like spicy mayonnaise, making me sweat a little bit. Pika's advice: Do try their Fuzhou Red Wine Chicken. I'm sorry that I forgot to take note of the price.


Deep-Fried Pumpkin with Salted Egg (Small) S$10.90
Taste: 7/10

In contrast to the creamy chicken dish, the deep-fried pumpkin slices that had been coated with flour came with coarse salted egg sauce. I enjoyed the natural sweetness of the fruit (or vegetable), but the salted eggs could be a bit saltier to balance the flavours further.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 3/10
Overall: 6/10

While the food wasn't bad, I was exasperated by one of the staff. I'm not trying to be racist, but I'm merely stating the fact that it was an obnoxious waiter from China who totally spoiled my mood, acting as if he was the owner of the restaurant, not to mention that he made me and my BFFs wait for more than an hour at McDonald's nearby for nothing. I know for sure that he's not the owner because we did see the good-natured owner when we came back to the restaurant after the seemingly interminable wait.

3+1 Restaurant

70 Anson Road
#01-03/04 Synergy Hub Point
Singapore
(Mon-Fri: 10.30am - 2.30pm, 5.30pm - 9.30pm; Sat-Sun: 5.00pm - 10.00pm)


*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market