HKG: Yung Kee Restaurant (鏞記酒家)

Apparently, there's something way better than the roasted goose!

I'd wanted to write in chronological order, starting with the eateries in Okinawa, Japan, but I better try to write about the famous Yung Kee Restaurant in HK before it closes down for good. For the uninitiated, Yung Kee Restaurant is well-known for its roasted goose, which history dates back to 1942.


It's unfortunate that the restaurant is set to wind up due to a family dispute. I've got no idea when it'll eventually shut its doors, but let me try to write about my experience. Perhaps it'll help you decide whether to go down to the iconic restaurant.


Signature Charcoal-Roasted Goose (Regular) HK$200.00 (~S$36.75)
Taste: 8/10

I guess I'd harboured too high an expectation on the goose, only to find myself just a little bit disappointed upon trying it. Don't get me wrong; it was pretty good as the goose was juicy with fatty skin, but the latter wasn't that crispy. The braised sauce was mildly sweet and salty.


Soy-Marinated Chicken (Regular) HK$160.00 (~S$29.40)
Taste: 9.5/10

Truth be told, the soy-marinated chicken was actually the highlight of the day. The fork-tender white meat was decidedly flavourful, having truly-sinful-yet-heavenly skin that melted in my mouth. Without a doubt, it was the best chicken I've ever had in 26 years of my life (pardon me for revealing my age).


Frog Soup with Bitter Gourd HK$160.00 (~S$29.40)
Taste: 8.5/10

The milky soup that was rich in collagen warmed my body and soul. While the frogs could be meatier, I really enjoyed the fresh bitter gourd that wasn't too bitter, as well as the mushrooms that were juicy.


Deep-Fried Beancurd with Peppercorn Salt HK$120.00 (~S$22.05)
Taste: 8.5/10

The standard phrase of "crispy outside, moist inside" applies to the beancurd that I had the other day. The garlic bits made the whole dish fragrant, while the chili gave a bit of a kick on the tongue. 


Fried Rice in Yangzhou Style (Dish) HK$200.00 (~S$36.75)
Taste: 8/10

The fried rice was executed well, even though it wasn't particularly special. Having said that, the shrimps on top of it were all fresh and springy. In addition, there were quite a lot of pork cubes in that expensive dish.


Chilled Black Sesame Pudding with Seaweed (2 pcs) HK$26.00 (~S$4.80)
Taste: 8/10

After all the expensive savoury dishes, it was time for something cheap to end the meal. Being mildly sweet, the twin black sesame pudding had a distinct herbal aroma. Hidden underneath was a bit of chewy seaweed strips.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8.5/10
Ambience: 7/10
Service: 7.5/10
Overall: 7.5/10

I don't know when I'll be in HK again, but I'd really love to go back to get the fabulous chicken. Pika's advice: The restaurant also offers dim sum from Monday to Saturday (2.00pm - 5.30pm), as well as on Sunday (11.00am - 5.30pm).

Yung Kee Restaurant
(鏞記酒家)

32-40 Wellington Street
Central
Hong Kong
(Daily: 11.00am - 11.30pm)


*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market