SIN: Inle Myanmar Restaurant

Popular rose-scented dessert with egg pudding!

I was pretty excited when I got to know that there's a restaurant serving Burmese cuisine here in Singapore, at Peninsula Plaza to be exact. Inle Lake is a popular destination in Yangon, Myanmar, which I didn't manage to visit during my stay at the capital city last year.


It's said that the cuisine of Myanmar is influenced by those of China, India and Thailand. To me, an aspect of it does parallel Indonesian cuisine as well.


Tofu Fritters S$5.50
Taste: 7.5/10

The first time I tried Burmese tofu fritters was at 999 Shan Noodle Shop, which turned out to be very oily. Thankfully, the ones served here weren't too greasy, even though they could be crispier. While each piece was pretty light and airy, going well with the slightly spicy fish sauce dip. 


Pickled Tea Leaves Salad S$6.00
Taste: 7.5/10

Being one of the specialty dishes of the country, the pickled tea leaves salad was pretty authentic, but it could be more refreshing and tangier. I, for one, believe that it could have more garlic bits and be moistened further with lime juice. Having said that, I enjoyed the broad beans that added a nice crunch to the dish.


Chicken Curry (Small) S$10.00
Taste: 6.5/10

You can find a lot of curry dishes in Myanmar, though the definition of 'curry' is anything with gravy with oil. The staff actually mistook my order of pork curry, but I didn't make a fuss about it. While the chicken was acceptably tender, the gravy was really greasy. It could be seasoned better too.


Sea Bass with Soya Bean, Ginger and Onion S$18.00
Taste: 8/10

Cooked with lots of ginger and onions, the sea bass was quite succulent. It was deep-fried well without losing much of its moisture before being stir-fried quickly with the gravy and other stuff. I didn't recall seeing any soybeans in the dish, but the gravy was unmistakably made of black bean sauce. 


Clear Soup FOC
Taste: 7/10

I recall that in many eateries in Myanmar, a bowl of soup is provided gratis to each customer. Inle Myanmar Restaurant is no exception. The one that I had there was slightly sour, which made it refreshing. 


Hpa Luda S$4.50
Taste: 8/10

Known to be an all-time favourite dessert in Myanmar, which I didn't actually manage to find during my trip there, is a rose-scented mixed dessert. A cube of egg pudding, which could be more velvety, was seen next to the vanilla ice cream. Overall, it wasn't too sweet.


Iced Lime Coffee S$4.00
Taste: 8.5/10

What I enjoyed the most during the dinner was the cold lime coffee. "What a weird combination!" I thought. The curiosity, however, was soon quelled by just one sip of the aromatic coffee, which was heightened in flavour by the mildly sour lime juice. Doesn't it give you an idea of what to make during a sweltering day at home?

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 7/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 7.5/10

Pika's advice: The restaurant offers affordable set meals with dish options. Check them out at their website.

Inle Myanmar Restaurant

111 North Bridge Road
#B1-07 Peninsula Plaza
Singapore
(Daily: 11.00am - 10.00pm)


*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge and 7% GST.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR36 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]