SIN: Masizzim

Heart-warming signature stew with oh-so-tender pork ribs!

Not that this post is about local cuisine, but Happy National Day! I hope everyone has been having a great week so far. I'm currently down with a bit of flu, but that isn't going to stop me from venturing for food. In fact, today's dinner has made me feel healthier, thanks to the hearty stew that I had.


The name of the restaurant is a combination of the Korean words masi (lit. delicious) and jjim (lit. stew).


Banchan
Taste: 8.5/10

If you ask me, it doesn't seem like the small dishes are refillable. Even though I was initially disheartened to see only pickled radish and kimchi (Korean dish made of fermented cabbages) being served, both of them surpassed my expectations. The former was crunchy with its refreshing sweet and sour taste, while the latter was spicy and garlicky enough for my liking.


Steamed Egg S$6.00
Taste: 7.5/10

The first time I tried a Korean steamed egg dish was at the now-defunct Boss BarBQ. My second try at Masizzim proved to be more satisfying, for it wasn't overcooked and still moist. Topped with spring onions, it had a mildly savoury taste.


Rice Balls (Anchovy) S$8.00
Taste: 8.5/10

I had fun shaping my own rice balls of mixed grains: white rice, Korean black rice and barley. The crispy anchovies weren't overly salty, complementing the seaweed, sesame seeds and red chilis well. Pika's advice: Not into anchovies? You can opt for flavourful tuna instead.


Tada! I know they didn't look pretty, but I assure you, they tasted good.


Squid and Leek Pancake S$14.00
Taste: 8/10

I enjoyed the pancake for its crispy exterior with slivers of squid that were fresh and not rubbery, as well as an adequate amount of leeks. Besides that, it wasn't that oily. The accompanying dipping sauce of soy sauce, vinegar, sugar onions and chilis had a nice balance of flavours.


Beef Rib Stew for Two (+Toppoki) S$32.00 + S$2.00
Taste: 8.5/10

As the signature dish of the restaurant, the heart-warming stew didn't disappoint at all. The thick stew was rich in not only the various spices used, but also the natural sweetness from the red meat. The beef ribs were fall-off-the-bone tender. While the rice cake was enjoyably chewy, the glass noodle that I opted for was a bit too thin for my liking.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Overall: 7.5/10

Whenever I need a pick-me-up, I shall go to Masizzim to get my fix of fulfilling stew.

Masizzim

313 Orchard Road
#B3-02 313@Somerset
Singapore
(Mon-Thu, Sun: 11.00am - 10.00pm, Fri-Sat: 11.00am - 11.00pm)

*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge and 7% GST.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market