HKG: Kam Wah Café (金華冰廳)

The most delicious pineapple bun I've tried till date!

It's said by many that the best pineapple bun in HK can be found at Kam Wah Café, a hole-in-the-wall eatery located between Mong Kok and Prince Edward MTR stations. For the uninitiated, a pineapple bun doesn't actually contain any traces of pineapple, but visually it resembles one.


Barbecued Pork Pineapple Bun HK$21.00 (~S$3.80)
Taste: 9/10

Given all the pineapple buns I've had thus far, I can't agree more that Kam Wah's version is the best. The bun served that morning was delightfully pillowy with such a crunchy and buttery top layer. The barbecued pork was done well, having adequate fatty layers that left me craving for more.


Breakfast Set A HK$32.00 (~S$5.80)
Taste: 7.5/10

My BFF and I got ourselves a breakfast set each. I had a bowl of rice vermicelli soup topped with pork slices and preserved vegetables, which wasn't bad at all. On the side were two sunny-side up eggs, a sausage and a slice of ham. BTW, the breakfast set also comes with either milk coffee or milk tea. Pika's advice: Not a fan of rice vermicelli? You can opt for yellow or glass noodle instead.


Breakfast Set B HK$32.00 (~S$5.80)
Taste: 7.5/10

My BFF decided to go with rice vermicelli as well, but with a different topping of stir-fried beef. It turned out to be pretty savoury. I forgot to mention earlier that all of the sunny-side up eggs came with moderately runny yolks, which were a delight to put into the piping hot bowl of carbohydrate.


Milk Tea (Set Menu)
Taste: 7.5/10

I wasn't particularly impressed with the milk tea, but it was decent. I felt that it could be more fragrant and velvety. Anyway, I'm not sure if you can guess from the picture, but the cup that I got was somewhat deformed.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 6/10
Service: 6/10
Overall: 6.5/10

Do note that the eatery doesn't have an English sign, so here's a picture of the facade. I doubt they've got English menu either.


Kam Wah Café
(金華冰廳)

47 Bute Street
Mong Kok
Hong Kong
(Daily: 6.30am - 12 midnight)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

TWN: EVA Air BR36 (Economy)