SIN: Cali Café

Not-so-awesome steak that came with nice Madeira sauce...

Cali Café at Changi Business Park has been around since 1997. I didn't go there, but I visited the branch that's housed inside Park Avenue Hotel at Rochester Drive, which is near my current workplace. I wonder if the name of the café has got anything to do with California, the USA.


I was hoping to have a nice dinner after work.


Cali Wings S$14.00
Taste: 7.5/10

I had the pricey chicken wings with "must try Cali specialty" as the only description on the menu. Truth be told, they weren't mind-blowingly tasty, but certainly good enough as an appetiser dish. Lightly breaded before deep-fried, the wings were pretty juicy. They came with a dollop of chili mayonnaise.


Prawn and Asparagus Pasta S$24.00
Taste: 6/10

Cooked aglio olio (lit. garlic and oil) style, the spaghetti was a tad too wet for my liking, not to mention that there weren't enough garlic bits to make the dish fragrant. There were enough asparagus stalks, but only a few slices of cherry tomatoes. Having said that, the prawns were actually bouncy and succulent. 


Steak and Fries S$32.00
Taste: 6.5/10

The striploin steak cooked to medium wasn't impressive either. It was by no means tough, but not as tender as expected. There was nothing to shout about the fries and the salad either. The best thing on the plate was the accompanying brown sauce with a dash of Madeira wine, for it was sweet and a tad spicy due to peppercorns.


Crème Brûlée S$8.00
Taste: 6/10

I've kind of slowed down in my search for the best French burnt cream. I don't think I'm as crazy about it anymore as last time, but I won't mind having it once in a while. In terms of creaminess, the café's rendition wasn't the best, but acceptable. The caramel layer was rather thin though.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 6.5/10
Ambience: 7/10
Service: 7.5/10
Overall: 7/10

I was rather disappointed with the food that evening. Pika's advice: Park Avenue Hotel made it to the news before for using a robot to deliver dishes for hotel guests requesting for in-room dining. Perhaps you may be interested in seeing the robot in action when you stay at the hotel.

Cali Café

31 Rochester Drive
#01-01 Park Avenue Hotel
Singapore
(Daily: 11.30am - 3.00pm, 6.00pm - 11.30pm)


*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge and 7% GST.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market