UGA: Café Javas

Split Decision Curry for someone indecisive!

For our first meal in Kampala, Uganda, my BFF and I were headed to one of the branches of Café Javas, which boasts more than 300 dishes and beverages. There are more than a handful of branches in the country, as well as two others in Nairobi, Kenya at the point of writing.


Besides carefully selecting the dishes to try, I made it a point to try its coffee.


Beef Samosa UGX 7,000 (~S$2.55)
Taste: 7.5/10

Ugandan cuisine has been influenced by its Indian counterpart for many generations. That was my first time having those triangular snacks with beef as the main ingredient for the filling.


While the exterior could be slightly crispier, I found the minced beef, chopped onions and spices to be adequately moist.


Grilled Tilapia (Masala Fries Upgrade)
UGX 35,500 + 4,500 (~S$12.95 + 1.65)
Taste: 8/10

Said to be freshly caught from Lake Victoria, one of Africa's greatest lakes, the grilled tilapia was succulent enough for my liking. It was served with creamy pili pili sauce made of red peppers, but it wasn't that hot. I upgraded my fries to masala fries, which were pretty loaded and came in such a generous amount.


Split Decision Curry UGX 36,000 (~S$13.15)
Taste: 8/10

For someone indecisive like me, such a dish would certainly be great. I had a preference for the creamy coconut milk-based chicken korma to the spicier beef madras featuring bolder spices, but both were definitely tasty. The mildly seasoned long-grain rice could be moister. Pika's advice: Fish curry lovers may want to try one of their specialties called Java's Signature Fish Curry, which is also priced at UGX 36,000 (~S$13.15).


Iced Caramel Mocha UGX 13,500 (~S$4.90)
Taste: 8/10

I wanted to order something cold at the end of the dinner, but since I couldn't decide which one, I asked one of the servers for a recommendation. The iced coffee infused with chocolate and caramel was quite rich without being too sweet. Still, I was hoping that it'd be more aromatic.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 7/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 7.5/10

I forgot to take a photo of the front of the café, but the branch located along the busy Kampala Road is in Kampala Boulevard Suites.


Café Javas

Kampala Road
1/F Kampala Boulevard
Kampala
Uganda
(Sun-Thu: 6.00am - 11.00pm;
Fri-Sat: 6.00am - 12 midnight)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market