CAN: The Canadian VIA2 (Sleeper Plus) [Lunch]

I'd vouch for the rich chocolate brownie at the end of the meal!

The hours of the morning passed by quickly. When the call for the second seating for lunch was made, my BFF and I made our way to the dining car. Prior reservation is required for lunch and dinner to avoid queues and allow for leisurely meal time for each seating.


Soup of the Day
Taste: 7/10

For a start, each passenger was offered a choice of soup of the day or salad. I went for the former, which was chicken soup with wild rice. The mildly sweet and savoury broth came to the table warm, but I felt that the serving temperature could be slightly higher. I had it with a packet of saltines.


Chicken Pot Pie
Taste: 7/10

I had a mixed feeling with the chicken pot pie, which came with a side of potato salad that was adequately creamy. My gripe was on the crust that was way too thick for my liking, although it was buttery alright.


The filling was actually quite tasty, thanks to the tender chicken meat and naturally sweet carrots. The brown gravy was thick and delightful.


Smoked Salmon Flatbread
Taste: 8/10

In my opinion. The main course of smoked salmon flatbread, which also came with a side of potato salad, fared better. The focaccia had a delectably light and bouncy texture, topped with an adequate amount of mayonnaise, leafy greens, onions and smoked salmon slices with an appropriate level of saltiness.


Chocolate Brownie
Taste: 8.5/10

The lunch ended on a high note with a decadent chocolate brownie. Having such a melt-in-the-mouth texture, it was rich without being cloying. I could've requested for a scoop of vanilla ice cream to go with it, but I decided not to since I hadn't been moving much.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 8.5/10
Overall: 7.5/10

Sitting on the same table with us was an American couple with whom we had a very nice conversation. Pika's advice: The meal includes free-flow fruit juice, milk, coffee and tea, but you need to pay for alcoholic beverages.


The Canadian

Sleeper Plus Cabin
VIA Rail
Canada


*No separate price given as meals are included in the ticket price.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

TWN: EVA Air BR36 (Economy)