SIN: Indonesian Panggang @ The Frontier, NUS

Cheap and yummy Indonesian food in school!

It has been a really busy week. I'll write something that is close to heart (and close in terms of distance from where I live as well!). Indonesian Panggang was first established in NUS Techno Edge (Engineering Canteen) in 2005. There are now branches in NUS Frontier (Science Canteen), NUS The Deck (Arts Canteen), NTU and West Coast Road. Each branch seems to offer different menu. The one which I frequently visit is the one in the NUS Frontier, simply because I spend most of my time in the Faculty of Science! Let's use the present tense since I buy something from this stall very often (at least once a week).

 

Chicken Wings Set S$2.80
(set includes a plate of rice, fried beancurd, lettuce and cherry tomato)
Taste: 8.5/10

I shall begin with the one I eat the most often. For only S$2.80, the chicken wing set is really worth the money. The wings are always full of meat, and they're fried till the skin is crispy enough, but not too dry. The flour for coating is speckled with quite a generous portion of turmeric. Topped with the notoriously fiery chili, this set has always made my day. Pika's advice: I'll just say what's written on the cashier: WARNING, CHILI IS VERY SPICY!

 

Udang Penyet Set S$4.00
(set includes a plate of rice, fried beancurd, lettuce and cherry tomato)
Taste: 8.5/10

You'll get 4 jumbo prawns. I usually eat all the tails and skin because they're damn crispy! Random: I saw a very weird question posted by someone from the internet related to prawn skin. Here's the question (unedited): "I heard that prawn's skin is dangerous if we eat with drinking orange juice?" o.O


Steamed Chicken Rice S$3.00
Taste: 8/10

No, this isn't the ubiquitous Chinese fix. Actually, I really have no idea whether this dish exists in Indonesia. I love the black, sweet and garlicky sauce. It does remind me of sweet soy sauce which you can find anywhere and everywhere in Indonesia. However, although I'm not 100% sure, I think I can tell that they use frozen chickens. Nevertheless, it tastes awesome!

 

Lemongrass Chicken Rice S$3.00
Taste: 7/10

The only difference between this and the previous dish lies in the sauce, which is curry-like for the former. This one is so-so because you don't really get the lemongrass aroma coming out.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10

Since this isn't a restaurant, I'll only give a rating for the food. If I were to rate the ambience of the Science canteen, I'd say 1/10!

Indonesian Panggang

NUS Frontier
(Science Canteen)
(Opening hours unknown - Anyone knows?)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y) 

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market