HKG: Tony Roma's {CLOSED}

"More than great ribs!"

UPDATE (24/04/2012): The branch has closed down due to the expiry of the lease. Tony Roma's is currently looking for a new site in HK.

I know I can find Tony Roma's in Singapore, or even in Jakarta, but I happened to have a discount voucher which had to be used promptly. Anyway, I found the above quotation (from their website) to be true, especially after trying their char-grilled steak for the first time in my life.


Appetiser Sampler (Half) HK$68.00 (~S$11.30)
Mozzarella Sticks - Taste: 6/10
Fire Wings - Taste: 8.5/10
Potato Skins Taste: 8/10

First difference from Tony Roma's in Singapore: you can have half of the Appetiser Sampler! The mozzarella sticks weren't appealing since they were somewhat rubbery and didn't have that much of a cheesy sensation. The fire wings, on the other hand, were bursting with flavours. The potato skins were good with the combination of cheese, spring onions and bacon bits. Out of the three dipping sauces: tomato salsa, tartar sauce and sour cream with garlic, the last one on the list was the winner with the strong garlic taste.


Soup of the Day (Cup) HK$30.00 (~S$5.00)
Taste: 7.5/10

Second difference: you can have your soup in a cup or in a bowl (higher price). I didn't ask the server the name of the soup (also, it wasn't mentioned when I was seated), and it appeared to be some kind of a vegetable soup with cabbage, carrot and long-grain rice, a pleasant surprise. Served warm, it was quite good with a clear tone of chicken broth (and the globules of chicken fat on the surface of the soup made it nicer).


Bread

The free-of-charge Tony Roma's signature bread tasted the same like those which I'd had everywhere else. It was crispy, which was a delight to have with the salted butter with herbs and garlic.


The Original Baby Back Ribs (Half Slab) HK$144.00 (~S$24.00)
Taste: 8/10

Third difference (the disappointing one): for the two free side dishes, one of them has to be coleslaw and baked potato (my favourite!) isn't included in the list! The baby back ribs were really tender as expected; grilled well, but it lacked a little bit of the thick BBQ sauce that would otherwise spread the delectable sweetness evenly onto the meat. The coleslaw tasted alright, better than the one I had in Singapore. The corn had all the natural sweetness within, but it came with plain butter. Since I had some of the salted butter left, I actually spread it on the corn for a more balanced taste.


Sirloin Steak (8 oz) HK$218.00 (~S$36.30)
Taste: 8.5/10

You can choose either mushroom or black pepper sauce to go with your steak, and I chose the former that day. I requested my steak to be served medium, and I was pleased that it was done right. The inside was still reddish and moist, and the meat was neither tough nor rubbery. I had a nice time chewing on the steak which had an excellent, if not perfect, texture with the mushroom sauce which was really creamy and slightly sour (like sour cream). The fries were nicely cooked as well. Oh, I guess it's also different here since you can't choose any other side dishes for the steak.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 8.5/10
Service: 7/10
Overall: 7.5/10

I had my dinner on a Monday night when the restaurant wasn't crowded, so the atmosphere was really relaxing. Service was somewhat cold, but efficient. One of the better staff was the Filipino waitress. Anyway, when I come back to Singapore (I hope it won't come anytime soon :P), I'll explore more on the stuff that Tony Roma's has to offer.

Tony Roma's

1 Matheson Street
Shop 1207, 12/F Times Square
Causeway Bay
Hong Kong
(Daily: 11.30am - 12 midnight)


*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]