JPN: Izakaya 寿-chan (居酒屋 寿ちゃん)

Cheese crackers went along with sake!

I stayed for one night at a small ryokan (traditional Japanese inn) within the Fushimi ward of Kyoto, a relatively serene area away from modernisation. It was a pity though that I didn't have the time to visit Fushimi Inari Taisha, a famous shrine of the God of rice. To complete the experience of Japanese living, I dropped by an izakaya (a type of Japanese establishment serving alcohols and food to go along with).


Saba Shioyaki ¥450 (~S$5.75)
Taste: 8.5/10

I ordered a chunk of juicy mackerel grilled to almost perfection, sprinkled with salt. While I've tasted the same fish with a better texture somewhere else, it was nevertheless awesome with its truly crispy and savoury skin. It really went well with grated daikon (Japanese radish) and lemon.


Croquettes ¥350 (~S$4.45)
Taste: 8/10

Japanese croquette is one kind of food that I'll never get bored with. Being medium-sized, the one that I had the other day had a very light coating which was good, but it could be crispier. The inside was undisputedly velvety, but it could definitely be creamier. There were shredded cabbages with mayonnaise for a bit of fibres.


Cheese Crackers ¥300 (~S$3.85)
Taste: 8/10

Craving for cheese? How about cheese blocks, each smacked in between two crunchy (Ritz?) crackers to go along with your drink? They were pretty delightful in their simplicity. The cheese blocks weren't hard, although they could be made into a more melt-in-your-mouth state.


Sweet Sake (Jar) ¥400 (~S$5.10)
Taste: 8/10

I requested for warm sweet sake (Japanese rice wine). Since I'm not a sake connoisseur, I let her decide for my friend and I. It wasn't very strong, but it had that somewhat complex sweetness which was pleasant on the tongue. By the way, Fushimi is the second greatest area of Japan in terms of sake production.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 6/10
Service: 7/10
Overall: 7/10

As much as I've always wanted to type the name of the eateries I've visited with Roman alphabets, I'm really not sure what the character 寿 reads in this case. It may be su, ju, suzu, etc. I believe it must be the name of the middle-aged lady who runs the business. Anyway, I'm sorry I can't get the exact address for this izakayaPika's advice: Nothing much, just drink and be merry!


Izakaya 寿-chan
(居酒屋 寿ちゃん)

Near Chushojima Station
Fushimi, Kyoto
Japan
(Opening hours unknown - Anyone knows?)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market