TRY: SushiCo

Have you ever tried General Tso chicken? :P

It was time to leave for Izmir, Turkey by train. My stomach was growling throughout the whole journey, waiting to be fed. Upon arriving at the city, my BFF and I quickly made our way to the next hotel to check in and put down our things. SushiCo was the destination for our late lunch, a seemingly popular chain of restaurants serving Chinese, Japanese and Thai cuisine.


I wonder what Melon was looking at when the picture above was taken. Haha... :P


Istanbul Roll ₺28.00 (~S$12.85)
Taste: 8/10

Even though we weren't in Istanbul at that time, it was certainly worth trying the unique rolls bearing the name of the city. It had a crispy salmon layer on the outside that was glazed with sweet teriyaki sauce. Bound by the rice was a combination of fried shrimp, capelin roe, cucumber, avocado and mayonnaise.


General Tso Chicken ₺31.00 (~S$14.25)
Taste: 7.5/10

I purposely ordered this infamous American Chinese dish named after General Zuo Zong Tang (左宗棠) without no, which was something I used to eat frequently when I was young, for fun. The deep-fried chicken cubes, which coating was just a tad too thick, were laden with sweet and spicy sauce having a slight resemblance to kung pao sauce. 


Pad Thai Soup with Jumbo Shrimp ₺19.00 (~S$8.70)
Taste: 7/10

No matter how many times I try to look at the picture and recall its taste by looking at my notes, I'll continue to scratch my head to figure out how Thai that dish is. Anyway, the clear soup with vermicelli, shrimps (that weren't jumbo at all), mushrooms, carrots and broccoli was pleasant on the tongue with a slightly acidic tone, but it wasn't at all fantastic. Pika's advice: Some of the Thai dishes use coconut milk, which perhaps may be closer to being authentic as what I saw one group of locals ordering. Give them a try.


Unagi Donburi ₺36.00 (~S$16.50)
Taste: 8.5/10

The best dish of the day was the eel rice bowl that was pretty authentic. Each slice of the freshwater eel melted in the mouth, even though I'd prefer the sweet sauce to be poured over it instead of the rice. It came with pickled ginger and crunchy seaweed for added flavours and colours.


Sorbet with Lemon, Peppermint and Satsuma ₺15.00 (~S$6.90)
Taste: 8/10

The restaurants offers a small selection of dessert items, from which we decided on the refreshing sorbet that came in half a frozen lemon. The sweet and sour balance was good, even though I wasn't sure if I could detect the taste of the mandarin orange as the fragrance of lemon was dominating.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 7.5/10
Overall: 7.5/10

To tell a bit of story during the train ride to Izmir, I encountered a friendly young man who politely started a conversation with me. He was on his way to the capital city with his family as he was about to enter a particular university to pursue a bachelor's degree. It was fun talking to him as he really tried his best to practice his oral English skills. I wish you all the best in your future endeavours. :)


SushiCo

2/F Sehit Nevres Boulevard
Izmir
Turkey
(Daily: 11.30am - 11.00pm)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]