FJI: The New Nadi Farmers Club

Beef curry that turned out to be somewhat like 'rendang'!

Fiji has been severely affected by Cyclone Winston in February this year. A significant amount of its local produce was wiped out, but the country is recuperating from the aftermath slowly. Located at the downtown area near Nadi River, The New Nadi Farmers Club prides itself in using local ingredients, which unfortunately translates into the fact that not all the dishes would be available.


As my BFF and I weren't particularly hungry, we ordered a few things to share.


Onion Rings Tower with Tartar Sauce FJD 8.50 (~S$5.50)
Taste: 7/10

The Leaning Tower of Pisa, eh? The onion rings were mildly sweet, the batter being pretty crispy. I felt that the tartar sauce could be tangier, for it was merely sweet without much depth.


Coconut Prawns FJD 17.90 (~S$11.60)
Taste: 7.5/10

The deep-fried small-sized prawns crumbed with shredded coconuts fared slightly better than the onion rings. They were acceptably fresh, but the same complaint went to the tartar sauce.


Beef Curry FJD 14.50 (~S$9.40)
Taste: 7/10

Putting another Indo-Fijian dish into the acid test, I decided to go with the red meat that I seldom eat curried. It turned out to be somewhat akin to rendang (Indonesian spicy meat dish), although it was neither as aromatic nor savoury. While the potato curry was thick enough for my liking, its lentil counterpart was too watery. I didn't quite like the sweet tamarind chutney, but the roti (Indian unleavened flatbread) was good. Pika's advice: You can opt for rice in place of the roti.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7/10
Ambience: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Overall: 7/10

I'd actually wanted to order dessert, but since there was only ice cream available, I changed my mind. Hopefully bananas will return to Fiji.


Have you ever soaked yourself in a mud pool before? I had my very first experience at Sabeto Hot Springs and Mud Pool.


Following which, I dropped by the Garden of the Sleeping Giant, which was opened by the late American actor Raymond Burr. I'll upload more pictures in my travel blog in due course. 

The New Nadi Farmers Club

Ashram Road
Nadi Downtown
Fiji
(Daily: 10.30am - 10.30pm)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]