About Me

My photo
Hello, I'm Cliff Anderson, a resident of Singapore and a diluted 'ang moh'! Why Cliff(y), you ask? Well, a lot of people I've met since primary school till now have always called me Cliffy!

Saturday, March 19, 2011

SIN: Thaipan

How good is the famous butter squid?

Thaipan - a hidden gem. I use the word 'hidden' simply because this restaurant is kinda out of place. The one that I patronised is located in Civil Service Club @ Changi. The other branch is in Mandarin Gardens Condominium. Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind coming back because of its yummy food! Oh, sorry for the low quality of the pictures this time round. My 1.3 megapixel camera phone can't give crystal clear pictures under medium to low light intensity. XD


Butter Squid (Small) S$8.00
Taste: 8/10

This dish was actually the catalyst for me to visit the restaurant. My friends are forever giving thumbs up for this dish. Indeed, the squid didn't disappoint, although it wasn't as buttery as I had imagined. Well, I guess I was over-imagining. Haha... The curry leaves did play an integral role in adding to the aroma of the dish.


Chicken with Lemon Sauce (Small) S$8.00
Taste: 8.5/10 

To tell a short story, when I was a little boy, I hated any main dishes with lemon sauce on them. In Jakarta, either sweet and sour fish or fish with lemon sauce (not both!) is the most common main dish offered in wedding parties. I'd get really disappointed when fish with lemon sauce was offered instead in one occasion. Oh well, that was the past! Let's talk about the chicken. The chicken strips were really tender, but I guess they could've given more sauce. Also, it'd be great if the sauce was slightly more sour, but this dish was already great enough to begin with.

 

Foo Yong Omelette (Small) S$7.00
Taste: 7.5/10 

I'm not sure how a Foo Yong Hai (a term we use in Indonesia, where Hai means crab in Cantonese) dish in China is like, but the one in Indonesia is different from its counterparts in Singapore and Malaysia because we drench the egg in sweet and sour sauce and top it with green peas. I love the Chinese-Indonesian version better. Nevertheless, the one I had in the restaurant was nice. It had quite a few prawns, and I was kinda surprised when I found asparagus inside!

 

Broccoli with Fresh Crab Meat (Small) S$8.00
Taste: 8/10 

This was the last dish of the day. The thick broccoli was cooked to perfection - soft, but not soggy. The egg sauce was great, although I could barely find the crab meat.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 8/10
Service: 7.5/10

Overall: 8/10
 
Ambience was great because that day it wasn't too crowded. Anyway, when I heard Thaipan for the first time, I thought it was a Thai restaurant. Next time I'll try the seafood dishes. Pika's advice: Come on weekdays to enjoy a S$1.00 promotion on Pineapple Fried Rice with a minimum spending of S$20.00!

Thaipan

2 Netheravon Road
Civil Service Club @ Changi
Singapore
(Daily: 12 noon - 3.00pm, 6.00pm - 10.30pm)


*Prices quoted are subject to 7% GST.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...