SIN: Singapore Airlines SQ392 (Premium Economy)

Delicious Indonesian 'nasi uduk' with chili prawns!

The middle of this year saw me doing a long-haul flight in the Premium Economy Class cabin of Singapore Airlines' Airbus 350-900 aircraft for the first time. In fact, it was also my first time flying directly to Istanbul, Turkey from Singapore. In general, I enjoyed the two meal services: supper and breakfast.


Unfortunately, the airline still hadn't gone back to the pre-COVID-19 protocol of serving post take-off drinks for Premium Economy Class, and that essentially meant my chance of having a glass of champagne was gone. Be glad, however, that the service has since been reinstated since 16 September 2022. 




SQ Meal #1

Tuna with Coleslaw Salad - Taste: 7/10

There wasn't anything exciting about the canned tuna, but the coleslaw featured adequately fresh vegetables. The buttermilk sauce was refreshing and not so heavy, but I was hoping that there'd be a bit more of it.

Singapore Fried Carrot Cake Taste: 8/10

Prior to the flight, I'd asked my BFF to select one of the Book the Cook dishes. His choice was the local traditional dish of radish and rice flour cake fried with eggs and pickled turnips, topped with shrimps. It was executed well, being savoury enough and balanced well by the sweet and spicy chili.

Gaeng Panang Neau Taste: 8/10

A Thai dish of beef in thick peanut and coconut milk curry, along with seasonal vegetables, was served as one of the three main courses on the menu. I enjoyed the beef as it was tender, while the gravy was rich enough. It was a pity that the mixed cargo and white steamed rice, however, wasn't so fluffy.

Häagen-Dazs Ice Cream

Only one flavour was available: Cookies and Cream. I wasn't complaining, of course.

Bread

There was nothing to shout about the pre-packed bread roll, which wasn't that fluffy.

Beverages

I had a cup of red wine to go with the beef main course, as well as a cup of apple juice. I decided not to have coffee or tea to avoid having caffeine in my system for the night.



Snacks & Alcoholic Drinks

Alas, I could only fall asleep for a short while and remained awake for the rest of the flight. As such, I headed to the galley to get some snacks, such as Kit Kat and dried cranberries. Additionally, I also had a cup of my favourite Baileys Irish Cream on the rocks, while my BFF requested for a cup of Singapore Sling. Pika's advice: You can look forward to sandwiches, which have been made available once again on request throughout the flight.




SQ Meal #2

Pancakes with Maple Syrup and Scrambled Eggs Taste: 7/10

The pancakes from the Book the Cook service were fluffy enough and devoid of floury taste, going well with the maple syrup served in a small plastic container. The instant scrambled eggs, served with a few ham slices, were nothing exciting though. Alas, there was no ketchup available.

Nasi Uduk Taste: 8.5/10

To my surprise, the Indonesian rice cooked with coconut milk from the main menu was really fragrant beyond my expectations. It was accompanied by chili prawns that packed quite a punch, stir-fried French beans that weren't overcooked and half a hard-boiled egg.

Fruits

The fruit cubes - watermelon, apple and pineapple cubes - weren't so fresh.

Yogurt

Each passenger received a cup of fruit yogurt by Meiji. I'm not sure if there were multiple variants available onboard, but both my BFF and I got the strawberry flavour.

Croissant

Though not crispy, the croissant was quite airy and buttery.

Beverages

I had a cup of joe that was pretty strong, as well as a cup of orange juice.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 7.5/10

I'm not sure when I'll be flying in the Premium Economy Class cabin again, but perhaps the day will come for me to fly directly from Singapore to one of the cities in the USA.


Singapore Airlines

Premium Economy Class Cabin
Airbus 350-900


*No separate price given as meals are included in the ticket price.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market