SIN: Yuen Long Hong Kong Pastry & Buns

Pineapple bun filled with decadent char siew!

I hope everyone has had a (intentional, mind you) good Good Friday holiday so far. As I recall my secondary school days in St. Joseph's Institution, our form tutors would give us hot cross buns every year during the Easter season. Well, I'm not having one today, but I'm going to review piping hot HK stuff. The bakery gets its name from a district in HK off the beaten path for many tourists, which is particularly famous for its lao po bing (lit. wife cake).


Yuen Long Wintermelon Wife Cake S$1.00
Taste: 8.5/10

The round pastry had a truly crispy crust which fell apart easily to uncover the generous amount of candied wintermelon. Its mild sweetness was complemented well by a hint of nutty taste from almonds and sesame seeds.


The somewhat translucent paste was juxtaposed beautifully by the golden brown crust. The former might appear sticky on the teeth, but trust me, that wasn't the case. However, I'd say the latter could be more buttery.


Bo Luo Char Siew Bun S$1.30
Taste: 9/10

As I sank my teeth into the pineapple bun, the not-so-thick and crispy outer layer gave way so easily to reveal the gooey and juicy interior of decadent honey-roasted pork. Not to forget, the bun was pretty much buttery as well.


The filling wasn't as red as I'd expected, but its taste didn't disappoint at all.


Salted Egg Bun S$1.30
Taste: 8/10

The last item I tried for the day was the gorgeously glazed salted egg bun with a small crater in the middle. Be careful not to squeeze the velvety bread, for it'd be ever-ready to spill out its content anytime.


The runny filling was adequately sweetened, but I was hoping that it'd be slightly thicker. The experience wasn't as intense as I'd imagined, but still, I pretty much enjoyed it. 

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8.5/10

To be frank, it totally slipped my mind to visit Yuen Long when I was on exchange in HKUST. I shall make it a point to go there the next time I fly to HK. Pika's advice: The customer before me bought lots of mango pastry. You may want to give it a try!

Yuen Long Hong Kong Pastry & Buns

1 Park Road
#01-62 People's Park Complex
Singapore
(Opening hours unknown - Anyone knows?)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

SIN: Singapore Airlines SQ656 (Economy)