SIN: Old Chang Kee

Fatty, but tasty squid heads!

Recently, life has been so hectic that I've hardly had the time for myself to stop and smell the flowers, or rather, the good food around. Today's simple review is on something that I used to consume somewhat frequently during my secondary school days. Established in 1956, Old Chang Kee started off as a shabby wooden stall near Rex Cinema along Mackenzie Road. After so long, I finally bought two of my favourite snacks when I was waiting for my friend at Bugis Junction.


Curry'O S$1.40
Taste: 8/10

Apparently, an increase in price has always been inevitable. Luckily, the good ol' curry puff that I used to have kinda often didn't really shrink in size. The enjoyably crumbly puff gave way to the traditional filling of curried chicken chunks, potato cubes and slices of boiled eggs. However, certainly it wasn't as aromatic as before, and it was lacking the fire I was expecting.

Sotong Head OnStik S$1.60
Taste: 8/10

I'd say squid is my most favourite seafood item. The heads of the cephalopod, complete with the tentacles, were indeed best deep-fried. Despite being laden with fats, the squid was pretty succulent and adequately seasoned. The batter could definitely be crispier though.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10

Well, I'd still love to visit drop by Old Chang Kee should I crave for curry puff again. Pika's advice: Some branches offer breakfast items. Find out more from their website!

Old Chang Kee

230 Victoria Street
#B1-13 Bugis Junction
Singapore
(Daily: 11.30am - 10.30pm)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

TWN: EVA Air BR36 (Economy)