CAM: Café Indochine

Served in a colonial building, Khmer cuisine fit for royalty?

Known as one of the longest running restaurants in Siem Reap, Cambodia, Café Indochine is housed in a colonial building. It's said to focus on "romantic dining with a focus on Royal Khmer cuisine", although I wasn't having a romantic dinner since I was with my BFF. Haha...


I did enjoy the relaxing ambience with antique furnishings and storm lamps.


Satay Kebab US$5.00 (~S$7.00)
Taste: 8/10

Four chicken and two beef skewers were presented to us for a start. I enjoyed the chicken more than the beef as the white meat was pretty juicy, while the red meat couldn't match the tenderness of the former. The peanut-based sauce was light, unlike its Malay or Indonesian counterparts.


Chas Kruang (Beef) US$6.50 (~S$9.10)
Taste: 7/10

As we weren't too hungry, we decided to share a plate of rice with two main dishes. The stir-fried beef with spices wasn't as aromatic as I thought it'd be, but it was decent. I believe it could use a little bit more sugar to achieve a finer balance in terms of flavours.


Traditional Amok (Fish) US$7.00 (~S$9.80)
Taste: 7.5/10

Having had what's considered to be the national dish of Cambodia at Bopha Phnom Penh that left me craving for more, I felt that the one served at Café Indochine that evening somewhat paled in comparison. While the fish was pretty fresh, but I didn't quite get the burst of flavours I'd been expecting.


Flambéed Bananas US$3.50 (~S$4.90)
Taste: 7.5/10

The atrocious banana dessert at Khmer Village Restaurant in the afternoon didn't deter us to order a banana-based dessert at Café Indochine. Thankfully, the bananas were edible and sweet, but they could've been flambéed further for a greater degree of caramelisation. Pika's advice: You may want to try their Death by Chocolate. I'm not sure what's in that US$4.00 (~S$5.60) dessert though.


Sweets

Before parting with the restaurant, we were given some sweets with coffee, honey and milk flavours.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 8.5/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 8/10

To end the review, I shall insert a photo of the Ta Prohm temple used in the making of the Tomb Raider movie, which has slowly been claimed by the forest. TGIF, everyone! :)


Café Indochine

44 Sivatha Street
Siem Reap
Cambodia
(Daily: 10.30am - 10.00pm)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

TWN: EVA Air BR36 (Economy)