POL: Specjaly Regionalne

How does fermented rye sound to you?

Situated along the bustling Nowy Swiat Street lined with restaurants, bars and high-end shops is Specjaly Regionalne, a restaurant that prides itself in whipping up a variety of traditional dishes from different parts of Poland. My BFF and I made my way there to have our last dinner before flying off early in the morning the next day.


Our dining experience wasn't particularly awesome though. Read till the end to find out why.


Herring in Linseed Oil 21.00  (~S$7.80)
Taste: 5/10

I love herring, but what was served at the restaurant made me feel pretty disappointed. From the texture, I could tell that the slices of fish topped with chopped onions weren't that fresh, but edible. There was a piece of steamed potato that was executed well.


Zurek 23.00  (~S$8.55)
Taste: 7.5/10

Of course, I couldn't afford to miss the chance of trying the quintessential Polish soup dish made of fermented rye flour. Served in a rye bread bowl, the soup was mildly sour and quite savoury, although I felt that they could use slightly less salt. Swimming inside were pork sausages and half a boiled egg.


Forszmak 45.00  (~S$16.70)
Taste: 7/10

A delicacy from Lublin in the eastern part of Poland, the traditional beef goulash featured tender chunks of the red meat topped with cream and black sesame. However, it was a tad too salty for my liking, although the barley grits did help to even out the taste.


Homemade Apple Pie 17.00  (~S$6.30)
Taste: 5/10

I'd rather have a hot or cold apple pie, but the one served at the end of the meal was at room temperature. A part of the crust was a bit undercooked, while the mashed apple filling was simply sour with just a faint aroma of cinnamon. I suppose the saving grace was the castor sugar that sweetened it up a little.


Kvass 8.00  (~S$3.00)

Kvass is a traditional Eastern European drink made of fermented rye bread with a low alcohol content of 0.5 to 1%. Served slightly chilled, it was a tad sweet and a tad tangy with an aroma of bread, which I enjoyed quite a lot.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 6/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 6/10
Overall: 6.5/10

Service was quite slow, even though the restaurant wasn't particularly crowded after 9.00pm. I also had to wait longer than expected to get my change. Pika's advice: If you feel like splurging, you may want to taste their locally produced Black Sturgeon Caviar, which is priced at 150.00  (~S$55.60) per 25 g.


Specjaly Regionalne

Nowy Swiat 44
Warsaw
Poland
(Daily: 12 noon - 11.30pm)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

SIN: Singapore Airlines SQ656 (Economy)