TRY: Sultanahmet Koftecisi Selim Usta

Serving chewy beef balls since 1920!

This review on a famous eatery serving local grilled meatballs shall be the last one for this extremely hectic month. Established in 1920, the eatery somehow escaped my attention when I was doing a research prior to flying to Istanbul, Turkey. I discovered it from a travel guide while waiting for my friend to buy souvenirs at one of the gift shops around.


Pardon Melon for not looking into the camera. I wonder what was she looking at? Haha... :P 


Bread

The outer layer of the bread was a bit too hard for my liking, but the centre was soft and airy. 


Fasulye Piyazi ₺6.00 (~S$2.85)
Taste: 8.5/10

Every table in sight had at least a plate of bean salad, so my BFF and I ordered one each for appetiser. The boiled beans were earthy, accompanied by fresh lettuce, onions and tomatoes. Quite a generous amount of lemon juice was drizzled over the salad, which made it refreshingly tangy. 


Izgara Kofte ₺16.00 (~S$7.65)
Taste: 8.5/10

The star of the eatery, i.e. the grilled beef balls that weren't round, were seasoned minimally with salt. I relished the chewy texture and the robust flavour of the red meat, coupled with pickled green chilis and red chili sauce that wasn't overly spicy. Pika's advice: Not a fan of beef? Try their equally famous Kuzu Sis Kebap (lit. lamb skewer) priced at ₺26.00 (~S$12.45).


Ozel Irmik Helvasi ₺5.00 (~S$2.40)
Taste: 8/10

The semolina cake might not look that appetising for dessert, but it was pretty good. Even though I felt that it could have a higher moisture content, I enjoyed the mildly sweet goodness that was buttery and aromatic. I wonder what were those nut-like stuff interspersed in the cake. Any idea?


Ayran  ₺3.00 (~S$1.45)

From my observation during the trip, confirmed by my sister who's currently studying in Istanbul, the locals do enjoy their buttermilk drink a lot. I can only say I don't really want to drink it the second time as it's oddly creamy and salty on my tongue. As it isn't a product of the eatery itself, as my usual practice, I'm not going to give it a score. 

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8.5/10
Ambience: 5/10
Service: 6/10
Overall: 6.5/10

Do expect the squeezy environment with all the crowd, but I honestly think it wasn't unbearable when I was there for lunch. Prior to the lunch, I was having fun exploring the grounds of Topkapi Palace.


Sultanahmet Koftecisi Selim Usta

12 Divan Yolu Street
Istanbul
Turkey
(Daily: 10.30am - 10.30pm)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

SIN: Singapore Airlines SQ656 (Economy)