FIN: Ravintola Kuu Kuu

'Twas my very first experience with reindeer meat!

Situated not far from the famous Temppeliaukio Church that was built directly into solid rock, Ravintola Kuu Kuu serves classic and modern local dishes in a relaxed setting. It has been around since 1990. BTW, ravintola is the local word for 'restaurant'.


A smaller lunch menu was given to my BFF and me as we visited the restaurant on a weekday afternoon.


Bread

One of the servers came with a basket of bread, asking us to take as much as we wanted. I took a slice of sourdough bread, which turned to be nicely warm and fluffy.


Sautéed Reindeer €19.00 (~S$29.80)
Taste: 8/10

I was excited about trying something new, although I wasn't expecting much. The slices of reindeer meat were flavourful, although I felt that they could be tenderer. Sitting on a bed of mashed potatoes that was perfectly velvety, the red meat was accompanied by berries and pickled cucumbers.

Besides that, we shared a 3-Course Set Lunch. Priced at €29.00 (~S$45.50), the set includes an appetiser, a main course and a dessert dish.


Appetiser of the Day (Set Menu)
Taste: 9/10

The moment I saw diced pickled fish being served, I knew I'd enjoy it very much. True enough, it really packed a punch with its sweet, sour and salty taste profile, which effectively whetted my appetite. The flavour was further enhanced with a bit of rather runny pesto sauce and mayonnaise.


Main Course of the Day (Set Menu)
Taste: 9/10

Who could resist the temptation of a slab of pan-fried trout that was flaky and succulent with delectably crispy skin attached? Not me, of course. I also relished the lightly charred carrots and onions that were naturally sweet, adding much enjoyment to the dish. Pika's advice: For an additional €4.00 (~S$6.30), you can have Beef Tenderloin or Special Fish of the Day instead.


Dessert of the Day (Set Menu)
Taste: 9.5/10

The meal ended on a high note with homemade chocolate ice cream that was truly beautiful and mouth-watering. It certainly had the right degree of sweetness that was accentuated by the sour note from the berries. My only gripe was on the small serving, but then I guess I'm just a glutton.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 9/10
Ambience: 8/10
Service: 8.5/10
Overall: 8.5/10

I was impressed by what the restaurant offered. I shall wait for the opportunity to go back there.


Ravintola Kuu Kuu

Museokatu 17
Helsinki
Finland
(Mon-Thu: 11.00am - 11.00pm;
Fri: 11.00am - 12 midnight;
Sat: 12 noon - 12 midnight
Sun: 12 noon - 10.00pm)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market