SIN: Tai Cheong Bakery

The legacy of Master Chef Au Yeung Tin-Yun continues~

Words can't express how much I miss HK, and I really wonder when I'll be able to go for my annual trip again. Let's talk about Tai Cheong Bakery today, which is well-known for its egg tarts. It was established in 1954 in the city state, and subsequently opened its first permanent store in Singapore in July 2016.


I had a chance to sit down for a meal at the Changi Airport outlet.


Scrambled Eggs with Chicken Chop S$11.90
Taste: 6/10

For some reason, the scrambled eggs looked as if they were prepared from dehydrated egg mix. Moist as they were, the delightful creaminess wasn't quite there. While the chicken chop might not be that thick, it was succulent and flavourful enough for my liking. The bolo bun (lit. pineapple bun) could be crumblier and more buttery. Pika's advice: Opt for toast instead if you're not a fan of bolo bun.


Dry Noodle with Chicken Tenders S$10.20
Taste: 7.5/10

Eating instant noodle is in the DNA of perhaps most of our HK friends. Topped with parsley and fried shallots, the noodle tossed with sesame oil was quite fragrant and, most importantly, not overcooked. Accompanied by chili sauce, the bite-sized chicken tenders were succulent enough and mildly salty.


Egg Tart S$2.20
Taste: 8/10

One should not go to Tai Cheong Bakery without getting at least one of its famed egg tarts. I'd say it was comparable to the one that I had in the original store in HK many years ago, although the crust was less buttery as far as I can remember. Nevertheless, the egg custard was nicely sweet and smooth.

HK Milk Tea (Hot) S$3.00
Taste: 6.5/10

To be frank, I was expecting more from the milk tea. While it was rather fragrant, I found that the texture wasn't velvety enough. While not overwhelmingly sweet, I'd prefer it to have a bit less sugar. In fact, I don't think I've come across really good HK milk tea here in Singapore thus far. 

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 7/10
Overall: 7/10

The flagship outlet in Singapore is located at Holland Village.

Tai Cheong Bakery

65 Airport Boulevard
#B2-40 Changi Airport Terminal 3
Singapore
(Mon-Thu: 8.00am - 6.00pm;
Fri-Sun: 8.00am - 8.00pm)


*Prices quoted are subject to 7% GST.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market