AZE: Dolma Restaurant

Virgin experience with quince leaf 'dolma'!

In a blink of an eye, we'll soon be halfway through February 2023, and I have yet to finish posting on my trip to Azerbaijan last year. Any plans for Valentine's Day? Here's a post on another underground eatery that provides an exquisite dungeon-like dining ambience. My BFF and I just had to drop by Dolma Restaurant that's said to be among the most recommended in Baku, Azerbaijan.


Can you guess what fish was Pikachu staring at?



Quince Leaf Dolma AZN 11.00 (~S$8.60)
Taste: 7.5/10

Dolma (lit. stuffed) is something that I always have whenever I go to Turkey to visit my sister. I've had those prepared with grape leaves, but their quince leaf counterparts were a totally new experience. I enjoyed the subtle fragrance of the leaf encasing a mix of rice, minced mutton and chopped herbs. Each piece was a delight to have with the minty yogurt sauce.


Chicken Bungalya AZN 13.00 (~S$10.20)
Taste: 7.5/10

That afternoon saw us ordering a pretty homely dish of chicken stew with spinach and beans cooked with butter, onions and mint leaves, something that we'd never encountered previously. A village chick was used in the preparation of the stew, which explains the small size of the white meat parts that were adequately succulent.



Sturgeon with Pomegranate Govurma AZN 48.00 (~S$37.55)
Taste: 6/10

Sturgeon isn't something that I can afford to eat every single day, not that it's readily available here in Singapore anyway. Given the price tag, I was expecting to be treated to something memorable, but I found that the fried fish, while tasty, was a tad dry. Thankfully, the pomegranate sauce cooked in lamb fat saved the day with its sweet, sour and savoury balance.


Traditional Pilaf AZN 15.00 (~S$11.75)
Taste: 8/10

For the main source of carbohydrate, we shared a plate of rice with a side of lamb cooked with dried apricots, prunes, raisins and chestnuts. While I've had more fragrant and buttery pilaf elsewhere, I really enjoyed the tender spiced meat that went well with the delectably sweet dried fruits. Pika's advice: If you're not a fan of meat, but you enjoy having dried fruits in your rice, why not give their Sweet Pilaf a try? Priced at AZN 11.00 (~S$8.60), it also features dates and walnuts.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7/10
Ambience: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 7.5/10

Dolma Restaurant is located near Nergiz Restaurant that I wrote about previously. I hope they can do better with the sturgeon.



Dolma Restaurant

8 Mehmet Emin Resulzade Street
Baku
Azerbaijan
(Daily: 11.00am - 2.00am)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

SIN: Singapore Airlines SQ392 (Premium Economy)