HKG: U Can Cook

Wide variety of Japanese and Western set meals!

So sorry for being tardy in updating the blog nowadays. I lost my mood to write a few days ago, but I guess I'm feeling better now. Anyway, I found this small, but cosy eatery when I went to Cheung Chau Island for a trek. Too bad I arrived a bit late for the set lunches which seem to be very popular, and so my friend and I ordered an all-day set meal each, comprising a bowl of soup, a piece of garlic bread, a main course and a drink.

 

Soup of the Day (Set Menu)
Taste: 6.5/10

Kudos for preparing a visually appealing bowl of soup! I really appreciate eateries which make it a point to make food an art, no matter how small. Frankly speaking, the mushroom soup wasn't particularly tasty, but it had quite a lot of mushroom bits in it. Perhaps it was one of those canned soups, anyway. Well, I was glad it was served hot, at the very least.

 

Garlic Bread (Set Menu)
Taste: 8/10

Brushed with enough margarine, the garlic bread was crunchy and aromatic. Well, nothing much to say on this one haha...

 

Mushroom Spaghetti Chef's Sauce HK$48.00 (~S$8.00) (Set Menu)
Taste: 8/10

I ordered a simple vegetarian dish which was, surprisingly, packed with goodness. The spaghetti itself was al dente, and I really enjoyed the aroma of basil leaves which blended well with the pretty rich mushroom sauce. The mushroom slices were juicy as well.

 

Braised Beef Rice (Teriyaki Sauce) HK$60.00 (~S$10.00) (Set Menu)
Taste: 7/10

My friend was sold when he saw the teriyaki beef rice in the menu. It wasn't that bad since the beef was enjoyably chewy, but not rubbery. However, I found that the teriyaki sauce was a tad too sweet, even though it was nicely thick. The cabbage was blanched well, even though it was only very lightly seasoned, while the sesame seeds did manage to enhance the flavour of the dish.

 

Watercress Drink (Ice) +HK$2.00 (~S$0.30) (Set Menu)
Taste: 7.5/10

I paid two bucks extra to get a cold drink. Tell you something, watercress drink is actually one of my favourite drinks. The one served the other day was adequately sweet and had quite a nice aroma, but actually I prefer the one with a bit of honey and lemon.

 

Milk Tea (Ice) +HK$2.00 (~S$0.30) (Set Menu)
Taste: 8/10

Another extra two bucks... The milk tea was refreshing, and it was pretty thick. I really appreciated the fact that they didn't put too many ice cubes that'd otherwise ruin the flavour of the drink to a large extent.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 8.5/10
Overall: 8/10

Pika's advice: If you're looking for the cheap, value-for-money set lunches, they're only available for an hour everyday from 12.30pm to 1.30pm, if I'm not mistaken! As I've mentioned earlier, the eatery is pretty small with only about ten tables, but I didn't have to wait the other day (thank goodness, I could escape from the glaring sun!). Service was warm and efficient, and I really didn't expect the young guy (in his late twenties, I guess) to be so friendly. Thanks! :)

U Can Cook

91A Praya Street
Cheung Chau
Hong Kong
(Daily: 8.00am - 4.00pm, 6.00pm - 10.00pm; Closed on Tue in April and on Wed in May)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]