HKG: Hing Lok Restaurant

Cheap and good seafood with exemplary service!

After completing the trek around Cheung Chau Island, I had no choice but to follow what my growling stomach coerced me to find a nice seafood restaurant for dinner! Thankfully, I managed to remember the name Hing Lok from what I read over the Internet and recognise the Chinese characters as well (yes, even though it's difficult for me to speak Chinese, much less Cantonese, I guess I have adequate knowledge on Chinese characters and kanji, and adequate listening skills for sure; too bad Hokkien is just useless here in HK!).

 

Fried Squilla with Pepper and Salt HK$58.00 (~S$9.65)
Taste: 7/10

Squilla is actually the genus of mantis shrimp. To be honest, it was actually my first time munching on mantis shrimps! I actually enjoyed the springy meat which was pretty succulent, but I found it to be slightly too salty. Actually, the mantis shrimps weren't only stir-fried with pepper and salt, but also with a bit of soy sauce, judging from the taste.

 

Steamed Small Clams with Garlic HK$50.00 (~S$8.30)
Taste: 8.5/10

Yes, they were small, but the clams were fresh since they didn't have any of the fishy taste, as well as juicy. They were steamed with lots of garlic. Simple, but delectable.

 

Steamed Pompano (Whole Fish) HK$140.00 (~S$23.30)
Taste: 9/10

Initially I didn't have the intention to order the pompano (I'd never heard about the name of the fish until I checked the Internet when I got back to campus), but since it was recommended by presumably the owner of the restaurant after being told that the fish of my choice wasn't available, I just nodded my head. Anyway, since there were only two of us, the guy told us that he'd give us a smaller fish priced at HK$60.00 (~S$10.00) instead. Gosh, just look at how lovely the fish was from the picture! Since it was freshly caught, it had firm, white flesh which was just plain awesome. The soy sauce had become rich from absorbing the natural sweetness of the fish, resulting in a harmonious balance of flavour.

 

Choi Sum with Oyster Sauce HK$40.00 (~S$6.65)
Taste: 7.5/10

I'm really not used calling the veggie choi sum, so I shall stick with chye sim (Chinese mustard green). Haha... Anyway, it was nice and crunchy since it wasn't overly blanched, although a few stalks were a bit hard, but not inedible. The oyster sauce was sweet and thick.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 9/10
Overall: 8/10

I'm glad I dined at Hing Lok Restaurant the other day. The food was mostly enjoyable, and I really appreciated their effort in making sure that the customers left the restaurant with satisfaction.

Hing Lok Restaurant

11D Pak She Praya Road
Cheung Chau
Hong Kong
(Mon-Fri: 11.00am - 10.30pm; Sat-Sun: 10.00am - 10.30pm)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]