SIN: Khmer Delight {CLOSED}

Fish Amok is gonna make your taste buds run amok in a good way!

UPDATE (19/03/2017): The restaurant has closed down.

Being the pioneer in offering Cambodian cuisine in Singapore, Khmer Delight was opened in December 2009 by a Cambodian lady and her Singaporean husband. Indeed, it was my very first time with Cambodian food, and I was pretty suprised to find two dishes bearing a slight resemblance Indonesian dishes in terms of taste.


Khmer Delight Signature Soup S$4.90
Taste: 8/10

My dinner started with a bowl of traditional soup which had items such as chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers, pineapples in it, topped with chili slices and scallions. In terms of taste, I'd say it was akin to soto ayam bening (Indonesian clear chicken soup), albeit more refreshing due to the use of fresh pineapples. Garlic lovers would love this soup, I believe!


Khmer Spring Rolls S$5.90
Taste: 8/10

As I sank my teeth into the crunchy spring rolls, the interplay between the savoury minced pork and the earthy mashed yams made me crave for more. The fillings actually tasted somewhat like lor bak (Hokkien and Teochew meat rolls). The chili sauce served on the side was of adequate sweetness and spiciness.


Banana Blossom Salad (Prawns) S$8.90
Taste: 8/10

I'm not sure how exotic banana blossoms are considered to be, but I rarely eat banana blossoms myself. From my experience the other day, I found that the texture was similar to cabbages, albeit finer. The refreshing salad came with prawns, or rather, shrimps which were pretty much succulent.


Fish Amok S$11.90
Taste: 8.5/10

The most memorable flavour was the luscious sweetness of the concentrated fish curry steamed in banana leaves, which happens to be one of the traditional Khmer signature dishes. Served with crackers, it was really creamy and full of the heady fragrance of spices and coconut milk. I'm not trying to keep comparing, but it actually reminded me of thick curry dishes I ate in Indonesia.


Lok Lak Beef S$12.90
Taste: 5/10

The traditional dish of stir-fried beef with onions and bell peppers was, unfortunately, not appetising. While the beef was pretty tender, the sauce was way too sweet. In addition, I was put off by the puddle of oil as you can see clearly in the picture above.


Eggplants with Minced Meat S$11.90
Taste: 6.5/10

For vegetables to accompany rice, I chose the fried eggplants topped with minced pork. While the eggplants were comfortingly soft without being soggy, they were kinda bland. The minced pork itself only had a mild flavour of curry sans the spiciness.


Banana Sesame Fritters with Ice Cream S$6.90
Taste: 7/10

I love banana fritters very much, and I used to eat lots of them in Indonesia. Served with vanilla ice cream, the banana fritters I had in the restaurant were nicely crispy, although the bananas weren't as sweet as I wanted them to be and the batter could do with less salt.


Lemongrass Drink & Lime Drink @ S$5.50
Lemongrass Drink - Taste: 8.5/10
Lime Drink - Taste: 8/10

Albeit a bit steep in price, the beverages were amazing. The lemongrass drink was really aromatic and had a right degree of sweetness. The lime drink, on the other hand, had a refreshing zest to wash down the generally satisfying meal.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 7.5/10

I had fun exploring Cambodian cuisine, and I'd recommend you to try some of the good dishes. Pika's advice: Thinking of taking take part in Fear Factor? You can start by requesting for off-the-menu fried tarantulas in the restaurant!

Khmer Delight

922 East Coast Road
Singapore
(Tue-Thu: 11.30am - 10.00pm; Fri-Sun: 11.30am - 10.30pm)

*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge and 7% GST.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: Singapore Airlines SQ656 (Economy)