SIN: Mad for Garlic

Seriously, garlic gelato!?

Originated in South Korea in 2001, Mad for Garlic offers innovative garlic-based Italian cuisine. There are currently two branches here in Singapore. Being a garlic lover, I was full of excitement when I first stepped into the restaurant located in The Foundry, Clarke Quay. 


Garlic Bread Tower S$9.90
Taste: 6/10

Yes, the appetiser appeared as a tower when it arrived on the table, but the server immediately asked if he could have the honour to mix the supposedly fresh garlic purée together and cut the bread up. Without even thinking of taking a picture of it, I agreed. Well, I was disappointed not only in myself for doing so, but also with the taste of the garlic bread. Granted, it was pretty crispy, but the garlic purée didn't have a strong garlic taste and aroma, I wonder why. Pika's advice: Remember to ask the server to wait if you want to take a snap of the untouched garlic bread tower! Otherwise, you can cut it by yourself. :P


Garlic Snowing Pizza S$19.90
Taste: 6.5/10

I decided to try the sweet pizza where shrimps, sliced fried garlic cloves, canned pineapple cubes and cheese sat on top of the thin, crispy crust. Honestly, it was a tad too sweet for my liking, even though the sweet sauce was pretty creamy. While there was an ample amount of garlic slices, they could be more generous with everything else.


Red Devil S$19.90
Taste: 8/10

For something to kick your taste buds, try the spicy spaghetti cooked with clams, squid rings, baby octopuses and prawns. It was al dente, savoury and spicy enough to send the heat to my brain. The prawns were enjoyably sweet, while the rest of the seafood items wasn't tough. The minced garlic bits in this dish managed to bring out the flavour of the dish overall.


Garlic Sprinkle Gelato S$7.90
Taste: 7.5/10

It was my very first time trying vanilla gelato infused with garlic. Well, it wasn't entirely weird in taste since the garlic flavour wasn't that strong anyway, but yeah, it was indeed unique. Served in a chocolate-covered glass with a garlic cookie and garlic bits, the gelato was pretty smooth and adequately dense.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 6.5/10
Overall: 7/10

I was served by a trainee who was still a bit clumsy, but he was polite. While I had to wait for more than what it usually takes for a pizza to appear, I was really thankful for the Filipino waitress to catch me outside to give me my handphone which I accidentally left on the seat. Well, I have to say that the food didn't quite appeal the garlic mania in me, and this is one of the rarest times I'm begging to differ from what the majority feels.

Mad for Garlic

3B River Valley Road
#01-16 The Foundry
Singapore
(Sun-Thu: 12 noon - 11.00pm; Fri-Sat: 12 noon - 1.00am)


*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge and 7% GST.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]