SIN: Shakey's Pizza {CLOSED}

Gotta love their Mojo potatoes!

UPDATE (25/04/2017): The restaurant has closed down.

The very first time I saw Shakey's Pizza (well, I couldn't exactly remember if I've ever seen it in its original country) was when I went to Manila in early April this year. From its humble beginnings as a pizza parlor from a remodeled grocery store somewhere in California, Shakey's Pizza has expended and embarked on a global expansion since 1968. It has recently reopened in Singapore in July this year.


Shakey's Famous Mojo S$4.50
Taste: 8.5/10

Shakey's Pizza is famous for their Mojo potatoes, which are breaded sliced potatoes seasoned in a secret recipe. As I dipped each golden disc in creamy mayonnaise and popped it into my mouth, I couldn't help but got excited with its savoury taste. While they weren't that crispy on the outside, they were good enough a contrast to the luscious potatoes inside which retained their bite without being overly soft.


Seafood Basket S$9.80
Taste: 7.5/10

The usual suspects in the basket are calamari rings and battered shrimps, accompanied by deep-fried scallops. The calamari rings weren't tough, while the shrimps and scallops were adequately juicy. I enjoyed the wasabi (Japanese horseradish) mayonnaise which was creamy and moderately stinging.


Shakey's Famous Chicken (3 pcs) S$9.90
Taste: 7/10

The fried chickens weren't really exciting, but I have to say that they weren't greasy. While the skins were pretty crispy and tasty, the flavours didn't exactly penetrate into the deep layers of the meat. Besides that, the meat was tender, but I wished it'd be juicier.


Shakey's Special Pizza (9") S$19.80
Taste: 6.5/10

Pika's advice: You can choose to have a thin or a slightly thicker pizza base. Since I'm not really a big fan of thin crust pizza, I chose the slightly thicker base which, unfortunately, was a bit tough. That was enough to ruin the enjoyment. Granted, the pizza was very much cheesy, but they could be more generous with the amount of meat: minced beef, pepperoni and ham slices.


Shakey's Baby Back Ribs (Full Slab) S$19.80
Taste: 7/10

Baby back ribs are supposed to be tender, but the one I had the other day weren't entirely so. A few parts were slightly tough, but they were acceptable in general. The ribs were glazed with a generous amount of BBQ sauce which wasn't excessively sweet, and came with fresh vegetables and a few slices of Mojo potatoes.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Service: 8.5/10
Overall: 7.5/10

Even though I was a bit bothered by the manager who kept recommending this and that because I felt bad if I were to refuse his offer (in a way, I wanted to say, "Sorry, I only have one stomach!"), service was commendable. The waitress who brought the food to the table never failed to mention the name of the dish and say, "Enjoy your meal!" Plates were cleared promptly too. This is definitely one of the few restaurants which I don't mind at all paying service charge.

Shakey's Pizza

1 Woodlands Road
#01-31A Junction 10
Singapore
(Daily: 11.00am - 9.00pm)


*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]