SIN: Babette

How good is the matcha lava cake?

Lava cake has been appearing like wildfire in the recent years. Like many people, I can't resist such a decadent delicacy, especially if the chocolate filling is lusciously rich. Boasting itself to be "the first casual French-Japanese [eatery] along Tyrwhitt Road [that] is set to jazz up the Jalan Besar stretch", Babette serves matcha (Japanese green tea) lava cake, which I really had to try.


Honeydey was more than ready to gobble her healthy meal. :)


Sashimi Salad S$17.00
Taste: 8.5/10

Sitting on a bed of healthy garden greens were an assortment of salmon, tuna, scallops, sweet egg, flying fish roe and seaweed. Marinated with homemade dressing that was slightly sweet, sour and citrusy, all the ingredients blended nicely. Pika's advice: The menu booklet says that there's only limited portions of this dish daily. Do come early if you wish to have one.


Crackling Pork Belly S$10.00
Taste: 8/10

The 48-hour slow-cooked pork belly, which was roasted to a crackling crisp, lived up to its name. I really enjoyed the crispy skin, but the meat could be slightly juicier. Nevertheless, it was tender. It was a pity that the whole-grain mustard sauce wasn't that creamy though.


Steak and Foie Gras Donburi S$28.00
Taste: 9/10

They say that beef and foie gras (French goose liver) has always been a winning combination. While I guess many of you know that I don't like liver, I admit that the texture of the one served that day was nicely creamy. Still, even though the livery taste was mild, I couldn't take more than one bite. My BFF happily finished it for me.


Let's move on to the cut sirloin steak. The red meat was superbly tender and juicy, going well with the little bit of sweet sauce sprinkled on top of it. 


The miso (Japanese fermented rice, barley and/or soybean) soup didn't want to lose either. Rich in taste without being too salty, it came with tofu cubes, seaweed and spring onions.


Matcha Lava Cake S$12.00
Taste: 6/10

My heart beat faster when the matcha lava cake arrived at the table. After all, who wouldn't get excited about it? Having said that, you've seen the score above, haven't you? As green as it was, the filling turned out to have a strong taste of white chocolate overshadowing the green tea flavour. It was edible, but a little bit too sweet and pretty much a disappointment.


Being a forgetful person, I didn't take a picture after recording a video of me cutting the cake open. Well, enjoy the video clip!


Honey Yuzu Ice Blended S$7.00
Taste: 8/10

To wash off everything, I tried the frosty yuzu (a species of aromatic Asiatic citron) drink with bits of that was adequately sweet. To be honest, I couldn't really tell if honey was added to the drink, but it was certainly good enough. 

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 8/10

I guess I've found yet another nice place to dine and chill. I won't order the matcha lava cake again though.

Babette

165 Tyrwhitt Road
#01-03 Parc Sovereign Hotel
Singapore
(Sun-Thu: 11.00am - 11.00pm; Fri-Sat: 11.00am - 1.00am)


*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge and 7% GST.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]