SIN: IKEA Restaurant

I prefer their flaky salmon to the meatballs!

When people mention about IKEA, I bet these are among the first two things that come to mind: furniture and Swedish meatballs. IKEA first opened its doors in Singapore along Alexandra Road in 1978. Truth be told, the first time I tried their famed meatballs wasn't actually at home, but during one my trips to HK. 


The restaurant features some carefully curated dishes that incorporate local flavours with a contemporary twist. 


Cold Water Prawns S$4.50
Taste: 8/10

To be frank, I wasn't expecting much of the prawns, which are said to be caught from the deep waters of Greenland. In fact, I was rather skeptical when I saw the price tag, but curiosity led me to take a plate anyway. They turned out to be delightfully sweet.


Also, look at the amount of roe in each of the prawns!


Swedish Meatballs (16 pcs) S$10.50
Taste: 7.5/10

For the record, I don't always order the Swedish meatballs when I dine at IKEA Restaurant. Made of ground beef and pork, the meatballs that I last had were tender, but somewhat lacking in the moisture department. I'd love to have more of the sweet and sour lingonberry jam to go with the meatballs. The mashed potatoes were milky enough and the broccoli florets were blanched just right. Pika's advice: You can now get plant-based balls at the same price.


Salmon Fillet with Hollandaise Sauce S$9.90
Taste: 8/10

Even though I was hoping for a bigger piece of salmon fillet, it was fresh and flaky enough for my liking. The Hollandaise sauce was pretty light, but it wasn't short on flavours. Besides the blanched broccoli florets, I also enjoyed the potato medallions that had chopped broccoli, leek, onions and cheese.


Apple Cake S$2.50
Taste: 7.5/10

Between a chocolate cake with crunchy caramel and an apple cake, I decided to go for the latter as I wanted something less sweet for dessert that day. I found that, for the price, the cake topped with buttery crumbs wasn't so stingy with the amount of apples seasoned with cinnamon. It would've been even better had it been served warm.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 6.5/10
Overall: 7/10

A few Halal dishes are available at IKEA Tampines. The meatballs are made of ground beef and chicken.

IKEA Restaurant

317 Alexandra Road
Singapore
(Sun-Thu: 10.00am - 9.00pm;
Fri-Sat: 10.00am-10.30pm)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market