MEX: Guacamole Grill

Trying out two unfamiliar Mexican dishes!

From Canada, we shall move on to Cancun, Mexico. Despite our initial intent to spend some leisurely time along the beach, unforeseen circumstances forced my BFF and me to scramble our travel plan. Nevertheless, we made the most of our very limited time indulging in some Mexican cuisine at the airport branch of Guacamole Grill before boarding our flight to Panama.


Enchiladas Suizas MXN 295.00 (~S$24.15)
Taste: 7/10

I'm familiar with enchilada, a Mexican dish consisting of a corn tortilla rolled around a filling. However, it was my virgin experience with one filled with shredded chicken and bathed in creamy pale green sauce made of tomatillos, green chilis and cream. Prior to this, I wasn't aware of the tart and tangy flavour that tomatillos, which are cousins of gooseberries and not tomatoes, would impart to the sauce. Served with some Mexican black beans, it was a rather interesting dish that had such an unfamiliar flavour for me, and I must say that I'd love to have a bit more cheese to enhance it further.


Huevos Valladolid MXN 265.00 (~S$21.70)
Taste: 7/10

That morning I learnt that Valladolid is a charming city nestled in the Mexican state of Yucatan, which is approximately 150 km west of Cancun. Though nothing too unique, I quite enjoyed the simple breakfast dish featuring scrambled eggs cooked with a medley of spices and onions, served alongisde warm flour tortillas. The green salsa served on the side lent a further fiery kick to the dish. There was also a portion of Mexican black beans that had an earthy taste with a subtle smokiness.


Pay de Aguacate MXN 95.00 (~S$7.80)
Taste: 7.5/10

Literally meaning 'avocado pie', the dessert turned my frown upside down after not being able to enjoy what Cancun has to offer. While I wished the pie layer could've been thicker and more buttery, I enjoyed the avocado layer blended with condensed milk and a hint of vanilla without being prohibitively sweet.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7/10
Ambience: 6/10
Service: 6.5/10
Overall: 6.5/10

There are lots of negative reviews online, but I certainly didn't find my experience to be terrible. Pika's advice: You can customise your order at the counter, where you can choose your desired ingredients for your burrito, tacos or salad bowl.


Guacamole Grill

Chetumal KM 22
Cancun International Airport
Quintana Roo, Cancun
Mexico
(Daily: 5.00am - 3.00am)

*Prices quoted are subject to 13% GST.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]