NZL: Hiakai Café

Such a hearty chicken and beef burger for lunch!

Te Puia is one of Rotorua's must-visit attractions, renowned for its spectacular geothermal landscapes and the New Zealand Maori Arts and Crafts Institute. Before exploring everything the site had to offer, my travel buddy and I stopped for a quick lunch at Hiakai Café, a casual open-air courtyard eatery located within Te Puia itself.


Hiakai (lit. want food) is a word in the Maori language that translates to 'hungry'.



Chicken and Beef Burger NZ$25.00 (~S$18.80)
Taste: 8/10

I was delighted by the sight of a massive burger that came with a side salad, coleslaw and crispy fries. Sandwiched between a lightly toasted bun were a juicy beef patty, a tender grilled chicken fillet and streaky bacon, complemented by melted cheese, some greens and red onions. I was hoping the coleslaw would be creamier though.


Buttermilk Chicken NZ$25.00 (~S$18.80)
Taste: 6/10

The buttermilk chicken, on the other hand, wasn't quite as satisfying as the burger. While the white meat remained tender and juicy beneath the buttermilk coating, I found the batter lacked the light, crispy crunch I'd been hoping for. The accompanying gravy was pleasantly thick, although it was a tad too salty for my liking, so I ended up having only a little of it.


Cappuccino NZ$5.50 (~S$4.15)
Taste: 7.5/10

For a caffeine kick, I also ordered a cup of cappuccino. Topped with a thick layer of velvety milk foam and a dusting of cocoa powder, the coffee was smooth and well-rounded. It was a comforting cup to round off the meal. Pika's advice: If you have the time, stay for some pavlova.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7/10
Ambience: 7/10
Overall: 7/10

Pataka Kai Restaurant is another dining option within Te Puia, offering both buffet dining and  degustation menu.


Hiakai Café

20 Hemo Road
Te Puia
Rotorua
New Zealand
(Daily: 9.00am - 4.00pm)


*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: Singapore Airlines SQ392 (Premium Economy)

MMR: 999 Shan Noodle Shop