HKG: Cathay Pacific CX855 (Business)

A hard pill to swallow...

Here's another review of the relatively new long-haul Business Class dining concept by Cathay Pacific. Two meals - breakfast and lunch - were offered onboard CX855 from Vancouver, Canada to Hong Kong. I was keeping my fingers crossed that they'd be more satisfying than what I had onboard CX810.


I noted that there were four different sets offered for breakfast and six main course choices available for lunch. 


Welcome Drink

As soon as I was seated, a flight attendant came to me to offer a choice of orange juice, apple juice or champagne. I went for the orange juice that had a nice balance of the sweet and the sour.


Pre-Breakfast Drink

Before my breakfast was served, the same flight attendant asked me if I'd like to try the smoothie of the day, which wasn't actually written on the menu. Without missing a beat, I gladly accepted her offer. Having a smooth texture, the mango and guava smoothie tasted pleasant.




CX Meal #1

Seasonal Fresh Fruits

Before everything else, I consumed the quartet of fruits. While the papaya, watermelon and strawberry slices were juicy, the pineapple slices were a bit overripe.

Chinese Breakfast - Taste: 7/10

Served on the bowl was cod and shrimp congee topped with ginger strips and spring onions. In terms of texture, it was delectably smooth and not too watery. It was accompanied by a plate of simple stir-fried noodle that was rather dry for my liking.

Western Breakfast - Taste: 7.5/10

The star of the dish was the ham and cheese frittata that was fluffy and springy at the same time. The thick cut bacon accompanying it was too dry, but the potatoes, mushrooms and grilled tomato were pretty juicy. The pastry wasn't crispy, but buttery enough. Pika's advice: For those looking for simpler breakfast to maximise time for work and/or rest, opt for Continental Breakfast or Express Breakfast.

Beverages

Served on the breakfast tray was a glass of mineral water. To end the meal, I had a cup of latte featuring coffee by Illy with just enough milk and a bit of sugar.


Snacks & Pacific Sunrise

I went to the galley to get something to eat and drink while watching some shows. When I was about to take a packet of popcorns, one of the flight attendants told me that she'd get me the nicer caramel popcorns by Garrett. I also took a packet of my favourite sun-dried tomato bruschetta snack. For the drink, I had the airline's signature alcoholic drink: a concoction of Drambuie liqueur, champagne and zests of lemon and orange.


Roasted Nuts & Apple Juice

At approximately 5 hours before arrival, roasted almonds and cashew nuts were served. My choice of drink wasn't an apéritif, but the good old apple juice. 


CX Meal #2

Bread

I opted for garlic bread as usual. They were unlike the typical toasted garlic bread as they were really fluffy, but I'd certainly love to have more of the garlic taste.

Salad - Taste: 7/10

Similar to the previous flight, a small bowl of salad was served, although it wasn't mentioned at all on the menu. Comprising leafy greens, cucumber slices, carrots and a cherry tomato, the salad was adequately fresh. The balsamic vinaigrette was tangy enough for me.

Drunken Chicken with Pickled Carrot and Radish Taste: 6.5/10

I was rather sad upon seeing the measly amount of chicken on the plate. On top of that, I felt that it wasn't drunken enough, i.e. not enough rice wine. The julienned carrots and radishes, however, were delicious as they were refreshingly tangy and crunchy.



Pork Spare Ribs with Egg Fried Rice Taste: 6/10

Doused in tomato sauce that was pretty sweet and thick, the pork spare ribs were adequately tender. However, the bok choy (Chinese cabbage) was obviously overcooked. Besides that, the egg fried rice served on a separate bowl was rather insipid.

Grilled Canadian Beef Fillet Taste: 5/10

It was unfortunate that the beef steak wasnt any better. Cooked medium well, the red meat was rather tough, even though it was actually quite flavourful. To be fair, the Hollandaise sauce was adequately rich and creamy. The asparagus sticks and carrots didn't look particularly appetising, but the potatoes hidden underneath the beef were cooked well.



Chocolate Brownie Trifle - Taste: 7/10

Served in a glass were three chocolate brownie cubes topped with whipped cream and a strawberry. While they could be moister, they were chocolatey enough for my liking. I suppose it'd be more lovely for the dessert to have some chocolate sauce.

Cheese Plate

The cheddar and Oka, a semi-soft washed rind cheese originally manufactured by Trappist monks in Oka, Quebec, Canada, were delectable. Included as accompaniments were quince paste, grapes and crackers.

Beverages

As dessert wine wasn't served for the whole of June 2019 despite it being printed on the menu, I went for port wine at first, along with a glass of mineral water. After I was done with dessert, I requested for Baileys Irish Cream with ice cubes.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 6.5/10
Ambience: 9/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 8/10

I don't want to sound like an ingrate, but I think Cathay Pacific needs to work more on the quality of its Business Class meals.


Cathay Pacific

Business Class Cabin
Airbus 350-900


*No separate price given as meals are included in the ticket price.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market