JPN: Hotel Okura JR Huis Ten Bosch (ホテルオークラJRハウステンボス) [Breakfast 1]

Free-flow 'onsen tamago' for breakfast, anyone?

In Sasebo, Japan, my BFFs and I stayed at Hotel Okura JR Huis Ten Bosch. It's located just outside the wacky Dutch-themed amusement park. For breakfast, there are two restaurants that we can go to. This post showcases the food and drinks I had at Sakura, a Japanese restaurant on the third floor.


Assorted Stuff #1

I tried the stir-fried version of champon, which is actually a soupy noodle dish originating from Nagasaki, together with a small sausage and a flower-shaped egg. Even though the noodle was quite springy, it was somewhat lacking in flavours. I had three types of salad - vegetable, potato and crab - all of which were appetisingly fresh. The seared tuna slices and onsen tamago (lit. hot spring eggs) were enjoyable too.


Assorted Stuff #2

I was looking forward to having beef curry rice with a variety of side dishes. While the curry was adequately sweet and velvety for my liking, it was a pity that they included only the fats of the beef in the concoction. The fish items were executed well, and you also get an unlimited serving of mentaiko (lit. pollock roe). Admittedly, I put a bit too much seaweed into my miso (Japanese fermented rice, barley and/or soybean) soup, but it tasted good nonetheless.


Assorted Stuff #3

For a sweet ending to the meal, I had a bowl of custard pudding that was smooth in terms of texture, but the caramel sauce was too dilute and a tad bitter. I was intrigued by a bowl filled with what the call wine-flavoured mochi (Japanese rice cake), so I took a piece. Being enjoyably chewy, it had an artificial grape flavour. That aside, I also had a somewhat crispy pastry square filled with chocolate. The fruits were adequately fresh and juicy.


Orange Juice & Coffee

The orange juice had a nice balance of the sweet and the sour, while the black coffee wasn't that strong for me.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7.5/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Overall: 7.5/10

Sakura is smaller in size compared to the other restaurant offering breakfast that's located on the first floor. Pika's advice: Take note that the salad, bread, sweet items and beverages are all placed in a small corridor that can get very squeezy. You may want to take all those first with the help of a tray when it's not so crowded there.


Hotel Okura JR Huis Ten Bosch
(ホテルオークラJRハウステンボス)

10 Huis Ten Bosch-cho
Sasebo, Nagasaki
Japan
(Daily: 7.00am - 10.00am)


*No separate price given as buffet breakfast is included in the room price.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market