JPN: Hotel Okura JR Huis Ten Bosch (ホテルオークラJRハウステンボス) [Breakfast 2]

Soft serve for breakfast? Why not?

Two days ago, I wrote about the buffet breakfast at Sakura, one of the restaurants at Hotel Okura JR Huis Ten Bosch. Today, we shall take a look at the other restaurant we can go to for breakfast, namely Camellia, which is located on the first floor of the hotel. Having a larger capacity than the former, Camellia seems to be more popular too.


Assorted Stuff #1

I suppose one of the reasons why Camellia is more sought after is the daily provision of a selection of freshly baked bread by Sailer, a legendary bakery housed inside the hotel that's been around for more than 100 years. I tried the onion bread, which was delectably warm and fluffy. A peculiar find from the Western section was the onsen tamago (lit. hot spring egg) with tomato coulis. While it tasted fine, I felt that the two weren't exactly a perfect match. The rest of the items were alright, and I was happy that they provided Dijon mustard in addition to tomato ketchup.


Assorted Stuff #2

Buta kakuni manju is the Japanese version of pork belly bun. It was a pity that while the pork belly was sinfully good, the bun wasn't so fluffy. That aside, I really enjoyed the DIY chazuke comprising rice and various toppings immersed in hearthy fish stock. Equally satisfying were the simple steamed vegetables drizzled with ponzu (Japanese citrus-based sauce). The deep-fried fish coated thinly with batter was really crunchy and went well with tartar sauce.


Assorted Stuff #3

The onion bread mentioned earlier wasn't the only thing from Sailer that I tried, of course. The croissant lived up to my expectations as it was crunchy and buttery. I found the bakery's version of the Japanese melon-shaped bun to be unusual due to not only the shape, but also the taste. I also took a bite-sized French toast that was fluffy enough, a slice of pudding with caramel sauce that was rather bitter and some fruits that were fresh and juicy.


Soft Serve

Which one do you prefer: vanilla or chocolate? I love both, so I went for a mix. I wasn't expecting it to be silky smooth, but given that it came out of a machine, the texture was as desired. I topped it off with chocolate rice and rice puffs for added colours and crunch.


Aojiru with Milk & Coffee

I mixed aojiru (Japanese vegetable drink commonly made of kale or young barley grass) with milk as recommended, resulting in a pleasant drink with a nice grassy aroma. I was hoping for the milk to be creamier though. The coffee tasted slightly better than the one served at Sakura.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 7.5/10
Overall: 7.5/10

My BFFs and I were quite lucky that we didn't have to queue for long before getting a table. Pika's advice: If I'm not mistaken, there's an information sheet regarding breakfast that also has a link or a QR code to check the crowd level at Camellia. You may want to refer to that.


Hotel Okura JR Huis Ten Bosch
(ホテルオークラJRハウステンボス)

10 Huis Ten Bosch-cho
Sasebo, Nagasaki
Japan
(Daily: 7.00am - 10.00am)


*No separate price given as buffet breakfast is included in the room price.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market