JPN: Nankinmachi (南京町)

Stuff yourself silly at Kobe's Chinatown!

Hi, everyone! After an intense period of work due to the current COVID-19 situation, I'm finally able to update my blog once again. Let's stay home and stay safe together. In today's post, let's look at Nankinmachi, a compact Chinatown in Kobe, Japan jam-packed with lots of food options. My BFFs and I had street food from the various stalls there for lunch.


You won't miss out Roushouki (老祥記) because there's always a long queue outside the famous pork bun shop. It's been in business since 1915. It's open from Tuesday to Sunday from 10.00am to 6.30pm.


Steamed Pork Buns (3 pcs) ¥300 (~S$4.00)
Taste: 8.5/10

The actual name of the item is 豚饅頭. The bite-sized pork buns are actually priced at ¥100 (~S$1.35) each, but there's a minimum order of three. Small in size, but big in flavours, each of the buns had a pork patty inside that was bursting with the meat juice. I'd prefer the buns to be fluffier though.


Kobe Croquette (神戸コロッケ) is another shop that particularly caught our interest. Besides selling croquettes, it also sells potato buns. It's open daily from 10.00am to 7.00pm.



Cheese Potato Bun ¥248 (~S$3.30)
Taste: 8/10

The actual name of the item is もちもち焼じゃがチーズまん. The yellow-coloured bun was made of mashed potatoes mixed with flour that gave it a pretty chewy texture. Besides that, it tasted a little bit sweet, which was a nice contrast to the slightly salty melted cheese filling. Pika's advice: It's slightly cheaper per bun when you get a set of four priced at ¥950 (~S$12.65). You can get other fillings too, such as pork and shrimps.



Beef Croquette ¥299 (~S$4.00)
Taste: 8/10

The actual name of the item is 黒毛和牛の福福コロッケ. Of course, I also had to try its limited edition croquette. Encased by the addictively crunchy breadcrumbs was a generous filling of mashed potatoes and minced beef of Japanese Black cattle that interestingly had a slightly sour tang. The taste wasn't mind-blowing, but it was nevertheless good.


From the stall shown in the photo above, I got myself two items.



Shrimp Balls (Small) ¥200 (~S$2.65)
Taste: 8/10

The actual name of the item is エビ団子. Shrimp toast is my most favourite Westernised fried dim sum item. The moment I saw shrimp balls, which I know typically taste rather similar to the former, I knew I had to get them. Without being greasy, the crouton-like exterior was enjoyably crunchy. There could be more shrimps inside, but I managed to satisfy my craving nonetheless.


Wonton Noodle ¥300 (~S$4.00)
Taste: 8/10

The actual name of the item is ワンタンメン. Something soupy was in order during early winter.  I found the noodle in shoyu (Japanese soy sauce) broth to be adequately springy, while the pork wontons were quite delicious. Topped with crunchy beansprouts and spring onions, it was a simple, yet heart-warming dish.


Walking past the stall shown in the photo above, I noticed a seemingly interesting savoury dish.


Mapo Tofu Fried Rice ¥400 (~S$5.35)
Taste: 7.5/10

The actual name of the item is マーポーチャーハン. I eat mapo tofu (Chinese dish of tofu in chili and bean-based sauce) pretty often, but that was certainly the first time with fried rice. I enjoyed the consistency of the thick sauce smothering the tofu cubes, although it could be more flavourful. In terms of spiciness level, it was moderate.


I was already quite stuffed, but decided to try one more thing before leaving Nankinmachi.


Braised Pork Bun ¥400 (~S$5.35)
Taste: 8.5/10

The actual name of the item is トンポーローバーガー. Just look at that sinful slab of pork belly! Without doubt, the luscious pork belly practically melted in my mouth. My gripe was that the hair wasn't removed from the skin, so I removed that layer entirely before consuming that fat-loaded bun. Also, the bun could be fluffier.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10

Don't forget to immerse yourself in the sights, sounds and tastes of the Chinatown that's the centre of the Chinese community in the Kansai region.


Nankinmachi
(南京町)

1-3-18 Sakaemachidori
Chuo, Kobe
Japan
(Twenty Four / Seven)

*Prices quoted are nett prices.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

TWN: EVA Air BR226 (Economy)

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]