SIN: The Lobby Lounge @ Shangri-La Hotel Singapore

Melon had lots of mini cakes for her birthday!

I don't think I've ever mentioned this, but afternoon tea is part and parcel of my mother's life. As for myself, I hardly have it as I'm not the kind of person who likes to eat in between breakfast, lunch and dinner, but I recently had quite a memorable one at Shangri-La Hotel Singapore. The occasion was also to celebrate Melon's birthday.


I believe the hotel periodically refreshes the afternoon tea offering.

 
3-Tier Afternoon Tea (Weekdays) S$42.00

The afternoon tea set, ideal for two (or even three) people, comes with two beverages of choice. Take note that it's priced at S$48.00 on weekends. For today's review, I shall give a score for each tier.


Upper Tier (Set Menu)
Taste: 8/10

Served on top tier were durian domes, rainbow rolls, coconut kaya tarts, durian domes, pandan scone and gula melaka (Malay brown sugar) scones. I don't usually fancy anything to do with durians, save for durian ice cream, but I really enjoyed my share of the sponge cake and fresh durian covered by spiky cream. The rainbow rolls were fluffy and the tarts tasted pleasant, but the scones weren't as buttery as expected.


Middle Tier (Set Menu)
Taste: 8.5/10

Served on the middle tier were kueh bingka (baked cassava cake), kueh kosui (steamed tapioca starch and rice flour cake), kueh salat (glutinous rice cake with pandan custard) and ondeh ondeh (glutinous rice balls filled with liquid palm sugar), as well as fresh strawberries and blueberries. The middle tier was the highlight of the afternoon, and if I had to crown one of them as the winner, it'd be the particularly rich, buttery and chewy kueh bingka.


Lower Tier (Set Menu)
Taste: 7.5/10

Served on the lower tier were chicken tofu bombs, chili crab puffs, spring rolls, barbecued cheese with pork bun and pork with pork jerky bun. While the steamed buns and spring rolls were nothing much to shout about, the chicken tofu bombs were delightful without being too oily. The chili crab puffs were adequately flaky, but the filling could be more robust.


Kaya Jam, Clotted Cream and Chili Sauce (Set Menu)

The kaya jam was amazing due to its smooth texture and caramelly coconut taste. I only had a bit of the the clotted cream that was served chilled and the Thai sweet chili sauce.


Nymph of the Nile (Set Menu)

It was my virgin experience with the exotic-sounding tea by Gryphon. I relished the delicate taste and aroma of the organic white tea with Persian pink roses, rosehips, strawberry leaves and Egyptian basil. 


Teh Tarik (Set Menu)
Taste: 7.5/10

The teh tarik (lit. pulled tea), though not extraordinary, was better than average. I was hoping to see a frothy top and that it'd be silkier in terms of texture, but otherwise, it was fragrant enough for my liking. I suppose it could use a bit more condensed milk.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 8/10
Ambience: 8.5/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 8/10

Should I add more entries on afternoon tea to this blog? Pika's advice: Fancy a bubbly afternoon tea? You may want to pay an additional S$98.00 for a bottle of champagne.

The Lobby Lounge

22 Orange Grove Road
Shangri-La Hotel Singapore
Singapore
(Daily: 7.00am - 11.00pm)


*Prices quoted are subject to 10% service charge and 7% GST.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market