SIN: Restaurant A380 @ Changi (Economy) [till 1 November 2020]

Possibly the one and only time I got to dine onboard a grounded aircraft!

Singapore Airlines originally planned to launch the so-called 'flights to nowhere' to earn a bit of revenue after being crippled by COVID-19. However, due to the growing environmental concerns raised by quite a few parties, it called off the plan. To make up for that, it has decided to come up with a pop-up restaurant using one of its Airbus 380-800 aircraft for two weekends.


Say hello to my little moose from Canada! Anyway, I was initially thinking whether to go for Premium Economy Class or Economy Class, but ended up clicking on the latter during the booking process. I was pleasantly surprised with the meal presentation that afternoon, which looked like what you usually get for a short-haul flight in the Business Class prior to COVID-19, of course.




Economy Class Lunch S$50.00

Roasted Chicken with Potato and Pumpkin Salad - Taste: 7/10

For appetiser, I had a bowl of salad featuring lettuce leaves, purple cabbages, potato cubes, pumpkin cubes and a cherry tomato that were fresh. The menu mentions about the use of seaweed sesame dressing, but I found that it didn't really have a particularly distinctive taste. On top of the vegetables were a few slices of roasted chicken that could be more succulent. 

Ayam Tempra and Brinjal Sambal with Rice - Taste: 7.5/10

Shermay Lee, a local chef who's the niece of the late Mr Lee Kuan Yew, volunteered her time in support of this particular event by designing the Peranakan menu across the four cabin classes. Naturally, I indicated my preference for the Peranakan main course in the reservation form. It was my first time having ayam tempra - chicken glazed in soy sauce with onions and calamansi juice - that featured tender white meat, but I felt that the sauce could be richer. Better still was the brinjal sambal - stir-fried eggplant with chili - that was spicy and piquant enough for my liking.

Bread

I was rather disappointed to see the deflated bread. Nevertheless, it was quite fluffy. That aside, I didn't expect it to be filled with marmalade, the sweetness of which was well-balanced by the salted butter provided on the side.

Häagen-Dazs Ice Cream

It was a sweet ending with vanilla ice cream by Häagen-Dazs. I'm not sure if there were other flavours brought to the aircraft though.

Beverages

Since two glasses of alcoholic drinks are included, I went for medium-bodied red wine at first, followed by quite a refreshing cocktail made of orange juice, pineapple juice and vodka. Pika's advice: Last weekend, there was a huge demand for Singapore Sling that it ran out quickly. Try asking for it at the earliest possible moment.

Melon's Rating
Taste: 7/10
Ambience: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Overall: 7.5/10

Stay tuned for the full review of the experience in my travel blog! Anyway, if the airline were to open up more dates for the onboard dining in the near future, I'd love to go for the Premium Economy Class next. 

Restaurant A380 @ Changi

Singapore Airlines
Economy Class Cabin
Airbus 380-800


*Prices quoted are subject to 7% GST.

Have a nice meal,
Cliff(y)

Comments

Popular Posts

SIN: YOTEL Singapore [Breakfast]

KSA: Saudia [Business, International, Short-Haul]

CAN: St. Lawrence Market